Basic Systems, Inc.; a multi-discipline, full-service consulting engineering firm specializing in design and procurement for natural gas compression facilities has an immediate opening for a Civil Engineer in its Facilities Engineering Group.
SUMMARY OF MAJOR DUTIES:
This position will use prescribed methods in performing specific and limited portions of a broader assignment of an experienced engineer.
- Apply standard practices and techniques in specific situations, adjust and correlate data, recognize discrepancies in results, and follow operations through a series of related detailed steps or processes.
- Conduct all business activities with customers and employees in an honest and ethical manner and within the guidelines of company policies, procedures, and practices.
- Maintain technical skills and proficiency as necessary to meet the technical and quality requirements of the project assignments.
- Overall responsibility for maintaining the quality of the work product including checking of work delegated by the incumbent.
- Complete project design assignments as directed by the Project Manager. Typical design assignments will include:
- Plot plans
- Grading, stormwater and drainage, erosion and sediment control
- Geotechnical boring locations
- Building foundations and floor slabs
- Equipment and tank foundations
- Retaining walls
- Deep foundations
- Pipe supports
- Structural Steel
- Pipe and conduit/cable tray racks and supports
- Stairways, ladders, floor steel and grating, catwalks and platforms
- Pre-Engineered Metal Buildings
- Plan and elevation drawings.
- Bid review and vendor drawing review
- Certificate of Plan Approval applications
- Assist the Project Manager in the technical, administrative, budgetary, and schedule implementation of assigned projects.
- Assist in generating and maintaining project schedules.
- Coordinate with other Engineers, Designers, and Drafters in completing project assignments.
- Communicate with clients concerning project business.
- Travel domestically as required to meet with clients and to visit job sites to insure successful project implementation.
- Assist the Project Manager in keeping project costs within budget.
- Report to management on project, budget and schedule status.
- Assist with preparation of estimates for proposed projects.
Project Manager and Senior Project Manager
May supervise Drafters, Designers, or Technicians as assigned by Sr. Project Manager or Project Manager.
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHERS:
Interacts with Project Managers, clients, vendors, Designers, Drafters, and other engineering disciplines.
EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION GUIDELINES: The successful candidate will meet the following criteria.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with at least one of the following:
- Professional Engineer License in any state.
- Successfully complete all industry-required DOT pre-employment physical and drug screenings.
- Industry codes, standards, and specs. Knowing what is in the code or standard and the ability to apply it to a design.
- Calculations including: Site grading, Cut and fill, Foundations, Wall strip footings, Column spread footings, Floor slab, Equipment foundations, Tank foundations, Retaining walls, Deep foundations, Pipe supports, Structural Steel, Drawings
- Ability to check that the design and drawings have met customer specifications, applicable code requirements and design calculations.
- Ability to check dimensioned drawings.
- Ability to check the civil drawings against the electrical and mechanical design packages for interferences or problems.
- Ability to check vendor drawings and confirm that they meet or exceed specifications.
- Natural Gas Compression engineering experience a plus.
Problem-solver, independent-thinker, self-starter. Ability to interact successfully with all levels of staff, clients and vendors. Able to work in a collaborative process. Able to plan, organize and implement with successful and timely results. Open to change; receptive to new ideas and concepts.
Proficient in the speaking, reading, and writing of the English language. Ability to read and evaluate shop drawings and product submittals. Ability to write specialized reports and routine correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Understands and follows safety instructions.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Skilled in applying mathematical operations to the discipline-specific tasks, such as foundation and structural design for civil engineers, piping and mechanical systems for mechanical engineers and power distribution, motor control and system automation for electrical and controls engineers.
Can define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Interprets an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Applies discipline-specific basic engineering concepts to assigned tasks.
Proficient in one or more computer-aided civil engineering civil engineering programs such as STAAD or AUTODESK Civil 3D.
CONTACT INFORMATION: Please mail resume to 9255 Cadiz Road, Cambridge, Ohio 43725 or email your resume and be sure to reference: CIVIL ENGINEER
Job Type: Full-time
- Professional Engineer's (Required)
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement