Weir Marine Engineering is currently looking for an Electrical Engineer in the Electronics group. This permanent position is based in Montreal (QC) in the borough of LaSalle.
Since 1953, Weir has operated and managed the Naval Engineering Test Establishment (NETE), a Department of National Defence (DND) facility located in Montreal with operations also in Ottawa/Gatineau, Halifax and Victoria. Over 370 personnel are currently employed by Weir at NETE, supporting the Royal Canadian Navy and DND with test and evaluation services in a wide variety of technical areas.
The Electronics group is part of the Combat and Control Systems section. It is responsible for the evaluation and validation of electronic systems performance and compliance to military requirements.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan and coordinate the testing and evaluation of naval electronic subsystems;
- Interpret and/or produce firmware for MCU, CPU, FPGAs, or DSPs;
- Design/review test platforms and write up test plans;
- Test, analyze and validate products;
- Write test documents, technical reports and presentations in English
- Perform field trials, acquire data and analyze results;
- Interpret and/or produce detailed electrical schematics;
- Produce mathematical and simulation models;
- Excellent communication and technical writing skills;
- Skilled at collaborating and working efficiently as a team;
- Experience with testing, debugging, designing test-rigs or prototypes;
- Knowledge in data acquisition systems and software data processing;
- Good technical and analytical skills, including interests for physics;
- Proactive, organized, determined, resourceful and responsible;
- Experience with LabVIEW and National Instruments equipment is an asset.
- Diploma/Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering with specialization in electronics;
- Four (4) years min. experience in electronics hardware design and/or R&D;
- Three (3) years min. experience in firmware design;
- Two (2) years min. exposure to instrumentation, testing and data analysis.
- Proficient in technical writing in English and ability to communicate effectively at all levels with peers, supervisors and clients. French would be an asset.
- General office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio);
- EDA (Electronics Design Automation) tools for schematic capture, simulation, PCB layout;
- Signal processing tools such as MATLAB or LabVIEW (preferable but not essential).
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations, Special Skills:
- Eligible to obtain a Government of Canada security clearance, which requires Canadian citizenship and 10 years of residence in Canada (MANDATORY).
- A combination of office and lab environments;
- Occasional short duration travel to other test locations in Canada;
- Occasionally required to perform work outside or on board ships.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- electronics hardware design and/or R&D: 4 years (Required)
- firmware design: 3 years (Preferred)
- exposure to instrumentation, testing and data analysis: 2 years (Preferred)
- Canadian work: 10 years (Required)
- Canadian Citizenship (Required)