Provides mechanical engineering support to implement or improve production equipment and / or systems including, but not limited to automated assembly or process lines. Performs root cause analysis (RCA) for equipment /process issues. Develops & implements appropriate countermeasures.
- Leads or supports problem investigations and/or design reviews for new or existing equipment and technologies related to the manufacturing environment. Creates technical summaries & presents results of activities, including recommendations.
- Investigates, researches, and analyze new technologies and existing equipment to determine the need for modification/improvement. Develops, presents, and implements alternatives for improvements.
- Develops and writes equipment specifications, performance requirements, cost analyses, and proposals for equipment. Creates Proof of Concept plans following Design of Experiments (DOE) methodologies & executes accordingly.
- Designs, develops, assemblies, and tests prototype equipment/systems for new/improved functions and/or processes.
- Creates & updates detailed, comprehensive schedules for the projects/ tasks/ responsibilities assigned. Identifies schedule/ priority conflicts and develops countermeasure recommendations. Proactively tracks progress & initiates actions to meet milestones.
- Estimates & summarizes resource requirements for projects/ tasks including expense budgets, capital investment budgets and/or manpower required for review / approval with management. Determines Return on Investment (ROI) and cost benefit calculations.
- Researches and interprets industry consensus standards to determine applicability to current and future equipment and/or processes (ANSI, RIA, NFPA, NEC, etc).
- Creates 2D & 3D CAD file creation and revision for component and assembly drawings for complex equipment and/or systems. Applies appropriate tolerance methodologies to ensure fit / function.
- Confirms designs/drawings for manufacturability & assembly issues. May review other members’ drawings for accuracy, manufacturability, etc.
- Creates and/or updates documentation for the operation and/or maintenance of equipment or systems such as Preventative Maintenance Control Charts (PMCC), Preventative Maintenance Work References (PMWR), Operations Manuals, Calibration Procedures, Lock Out/Tag Out (LOTO) procedures, Spare Parts, etc.
- May assist with development of new members by providing training for specific areas of responsibility / knowledge. May lead or mentor Level 1 engineer(s).
- May have to work at Canon Virginia Inc.'s Gloucester location depending on projects.
- May be assigned additional duties and/or special projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical/ Manufacturing Engineering Technology or related field and 2-5 years’ experience preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge of CAD operations, Basic design requirements and Tolerance methods (preferable Autodesk Inventor)
- Experience in robot and vision systems a plus.
- Requires experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Requires strong verbal and written communication skills.
- May have to work overtime and may be assigned to other shifts based on company needs.
About our Company - Canon Virginia, Inc. located in Newport News, Virginia is a global manufacturer for Canon’s office and consumer products. Our innovative and efficient production methods along with our environmental commitment make us a leading global manufacturer. Since opening our doors in 1985, Canon Virginia has provided world class manufacturing services. It is the policy of Canon Virginia, Inc. (CVI) to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or physical/mental disability except where there is a bona fide occupational qualification. This policy relates to all phases of recruitment, employment, compensation, benefits administration and participation in company sponsored employee activities. This includes hiring, promotions, demotions, transfers, layoffs, recall, training and terminations. Employment practices will conform to all federal, state and local laws on non-discrimination. http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm