RF Engineer / Signal Processor
Laboratory researcher supporting development of RF microwave and millimeter-wave sensor technology that protects US soldiers and provides them with robust capabilities in future complex battlespaces. The position involves the research & development of RF beamforming technology, signal processing algorithms and antenna designs that support interference suppression for position, navigation & timing systems in crowded and complex electromagnetic environments. This position involves working as a member of a Government team to conduct basic research and perform RF design & signal processing and analysis to support proof-of-concept laboratory and field experiments, as well as the opportunity to work collaboratively with partners in the Department of Defense research and development community (including industry, academia, and the tri-services) on joint projects. The employee will work with the latest technology developed by the DoD and commercial sector, including digital RF technology, advanced navigation receivers, and phased array antennas. Critical tasks include:
- Research & development of adaptive beamforming algorithms for anti-jam navigation systems
- The applicant should have academic or on-the-job experience with sensor signal processing and phased array antenna design, ideally with experience in applying beam or null-steering algorithms for interference suppression and familiarity with digital implementation of algorithms on FPGAs.
- Experience in a laboratory environment using RF test equipment, be able to research, design and simulate digital beamforming algorithms using software such as MATLAB and Simulink.
- Familiar with full-wave electromagnetic simulation software such as Ansoft HFSS and Altair FEKO, and be capable of creating software scripts to control test equipment and collect data.
- In addition, a general understanding of RF system architectures is useful to guide and inform the beamforming algorithm & antenna design research.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Preferred Master’s Degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- US Citizenship is mandatory for clearance
The selected candidate will be a contract employee of General Technical Services LLC (GTS). US citizenship is required (security clearance). There may be occasional travel. GTS offers company-funded educational support for job-related training. Other benefits include ten (federal) holidays, a co-funded medical plan, fifteen days of personal time, and a 401(k) investment package.
Salary is industry-competitive and commensurate with experience and expertise.
Background: Located in Adelphi, MD, the U.S. Army Research Laboratory's (ARL) Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate (SEDD) is the principal Army organization for research and development in sensors and electron devices (see http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?page=231 for more information.). SEDD conducts innovative research to provide the Army with affordable enabling technology in electro-optic smart sensors, MEMS, multifunction radio-frequency systems, autonomous sensing, power generation and management, and RF and thermal signature management. SEDD coordinates technologies within the Army, other services and their laboratories, industry, and academia to leverage basic and applied research opportunities for the benefit of the Army. See http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?page=32 for more information. The SEMASC Research Facility is a state–of-the-art Semiconductor, Nanotechnology and Microelectromechanical Systems processing facility dedicated to the development of next generation sensor materials and technologies. See http://www.arl.army.mil/www/default.cfm?page=428 for more information.
To accomplish its mission SEDD utilizes several unique facilities, most notably the Zahl
Physical Science Laboratory, a 349,000 GSF state-of-the-art electronics R&D facility. This building has a 15,000 GSF class 10 and class 100 cleanroom, dry room, high energy laser facilities, bio-inspired sensor laboratories and other research & development infrastructure.
Submit a resume that highlights your qualifications for this specific position to:
General Technical Services LLC
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- US Citizenship (Required)