At U.S. Bank, we're passionate about helping customers and the communities where we live and work. The fifth-largest bank in the United States, we’re one of the country's most respected, innovative and successful financial institutions. U.S. Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors.
Mainframe Software Engineer Trainee
Be part of something big, where integrity matters and success inspires, where great people collaborate, innovate and give back, where you feel included, valued and proud. U.S. Bank is looking for people who want more than just a job – but can also make a difference in the communities where they live and work.
Technology Services has an outstanding opportunity for early-career mainframe software engineer trainees in Richfield, MN beginning September 2022 . Upon hire and joining your sprint team, you will participate in a comprehensive 12-week training program, introducing you to COBOL, JCL and many software development tools used in creating and maintaining software applications in an agile environment.
After completing the initial 12-week training, you will begin applying the skills acquired contributing toward the success of our technology initiatives. In this role you will be part of an agile team responsible for the analysis, design, testing, development, and maintenance of best-in-class software experiences. The Mainframe Software Engineer is a self-motivated individual who can collaborate with a team and across the organization. You will learn to be adept with the agile software development lifecycle and DevOps principles to configure and develop application systems using existing and emerging technology platforms,
As an entry level Mainframe Software Engineer you will:
- Be responsible for designing, developing, testing, operating and maintaining products.
- Take full stack ownership by consistently writing production-ready and testable code.
- Consistently create optimal design adhering to architectural best practices; considers scalability, reliability and performance of systems/contexts affected when defining technical designs.
- Make sound design/coding decisions keeping customer experience in the forefront.
- Take feedback from code reviews and applies changes to meet standards. Conducts code reviews to provide guidance on engineering best practices and compliance with development procedures.
- Be accountable for ensuring all aspects of product development follow compliance and security best practices.
- Exhibit relentless focus in software reliability engineering standards embedded within development standards.
- Embrace emerging technology opportunities and contributes to the best practices in support of the bank's technology transformation.
- Contribute to a culture of innovation, collaboration and continuous improvement.
- Review tasks critically and ensures they are appropriately prioritized and sized for incremental delivery. Anticipate and communicate blockers and delays before they require escalation
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
Zero to one year of relevant experience
- Able to communicate processes and results with all parties involved in the product team, including engineers, product owner, scrum master, third party vendors and customers
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn new concepts and programming languages quickly
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate a disability during any portion of the application or hiring process, please refer to our disability accommodations for applicants .
Take care of yourself and your family with U.S. Bank employee benefits. We know that healthy employees are happy employees, and we believe that work/life balance should be easy to achieve. That's why we share the cost of benefits and offer a variety of programs, resources and support you need to bring your full self to work and stay present and committed to the people who matter most - your family.
Learn all about U.S. Bank employee benefits, including tuition reimbursement, retirement plans and more, by visiting careers.usbank.com .
EEO is the Law
Applicants can learn more about the company’s status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal EEO is the Law poster.
U.S. Bank participates in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security E-Verify program in all facilities located in the United States and certain U.S. territories. The E-Verify program is an Internet-based employment eligibility verification system operated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Learn more about the E-Verify program .
Due to legal requirements, U.S. Bank requires that the successful candidate hired for some positions be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19, absent being granted an accommodation due to a medical condition, pregnancy, or sincerely held religious belief or other legally required exemption. For these positions, as part of the conditional offer of employment, the successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or approval for an accommodation or exemption upon hire.