The Adv. R&D engineer while working with the Adv. R&D team, and the Product Manager, is responsible for developing new technology to be used in NPD (new Product Development) and CI (Custom Engineering) projects. They should have the ability to see and develop new technologies with little supervision, be an innovator. Have a history and ability of self-directed research, development and writing test procedures. The ability to work with other groups, corporate FEA, PV&V (Product verification & validation) etc.
The Adv. R&D Engineer position at Astec has three (3) levels dependent on experience and specialty.
Design Engineers can be asked to travel to develop research relationships with customers, dealers, and suppliers. They may also participate in product focus groups to gain critical customer application and design suggestions to assist in the development of new technologies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (may include but not limited to)
- Ability to see and develop new technology and how it can be implemented into Astec equipment
- Ability to gather data on how this technology will benefit Astec. Prepare this data in a professional clear presentation. (possibly travel for this and any part of the job) Able to present this data to management for authorization to proceed with the project
- Lead a project in new technology development from concept to final documentation to be used in NPD or CI
- Utilize 3D software (SolidWorks preferred) in conjunction with data management software
- Interpersonal skills required to an be effective member of cross-functional project teams from concept to testing, and ultimately handing the technology off to the NPD or CI group
- Demonstrate technical and written skills to document ideas, designs and concepts
- Ability to clearly write a provisional application and final patent application, will need to work with corporate legal services and Astec corporate patent group
- Develop design concepts to meet required cost objectives. Direct involvement with supply chain operations to provide technical information for the selection of components
- Effectively work with sketches, marked-up prints and verbal instructions to drive concept to solution.
- Follow internal company standards when creating data and information
- Review customer drawings, specification drawings, and other applicable specifications to determine requirement and/or feasibility of component
- Perform all necessary calculations such as stress analysis, performance analysis, pressure drop, flow analysis, and electrical power requirements, etc. as required
- Ability to clearly write expected machine operation (function), so that a software engineer can develop the required software code
- Problem-solving skills required to identify opportunities to improve product design
- Responsible for hitting due dates and pre-defined requirements defined by management
- Work with Product Procurement team with product issues.
- Work with Product Management Team with special product specifications
- Work with test engineers to produce test reports to communicate data, conclusions, and recommendations to other functional areas of projects that will positively affect outcomes
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $66,744.00 - $105,884.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Mechanical Design: 3 years (Required)
- Software Design: 2 years (Required)
- Electrical engineering: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location