About the Company
Based in Portland, Oregon, JouleSmart was founded to make Enterprise level building technology accessible to small and medium-sized businesses. JouleSmart’s solution is a cloud-based technology platform that has been in the market almost 20 years. The platform transforms small to mid-sized businesses’ underperforming buildings into intelligent, productive, efficient and comfortable places of business. At the heart of JouleSmart’s solution is the Integrated Intelligence Gateway, a proprietary software and hardware platform. JouleSmart’s Active Oversight ™ provides 24/7 monitoring to maintain a high-performance building. The benefits of the intelligent building include improvements to the bottom line, employee productivity, customer comfort and a reduced carbon footprint.
Come join us as we save the World!
We are looking to hire a detail-oriented HVAC Technician with knowledge of control systems to install, maintain and repair Building Management Systems (BMS) and Heating, Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) systems. The HVAC Technician will be skilled in cleaning, adjusting, repairing and diagnostics of HVAC systems as well as troubleshooting HVAC controls. This position is a senior level tech role withthe potential to help steer the growth of an installation and service business focused on the reduction of energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.The chosen candidate will be responsible for completing service calls in addition to working on larger projects under the direction of a project manager or controls engineer.
The HVAC Technician leads installation, troubleshooting, and repair efforts on energy efficiency retrofits for commercial grade HVAC systems and multi-zone systems that incorporate pneumatic, electronic, and/or programmable logic controls.
HVAC Technician Responsibilities
- Maintain, install, and repair HVAC systems with a focus on RTUs.
- Troubleshoot, test, and commission BMS & HVAC systems and electronics.
- Perform preventative and condition-based maintenance to increase the longevity and optimize performance of BMS & HVAC systems.
- Coordinate work with other trades and departments (i.e. electricians, HVAC contractors, project management, customer service, engineering, etc.).
- Analyze and correct communication issues, including properly addressing TCP/IP networks and ModBus (RS-485) communications.
- Work according to project timelines and required processes.
- Conduct performance tests with specialized tools and adjust system settings to maintain thermal comfort and indoor air quality (IAQ).
- Travel to different businesses throughout the day and diagnose problems in order to proactively repair or replace the system before the customer isinconvenienced.
- Categorize and organize inventory to limit unnecessary losses to the company.
- Maintain vehicle, tools and equipment to ensure safety and availability of required materials
- Identifying maintenance risks on equipment.
- Diagnosing electrical and mechanical faults for HVAC systems.
- Cleaning, adjusting and repairing systems, and performing warranty services.
- Performing emergency repairs promptly and efficiently.
- Providing technical direction and on-the-job training.
- Participate in meetings, training and workshops to continually optimize ECMs
- Keeping daily logs and records of all maintenance functions.
- Ensuring compliance with local codes and standards, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Complying with service standards, work instructions, customer requirements, and educating/advising customers as necessary.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- High school diploma or GED; Associates Degree from accredited institution preferred
- HVAC Certification via completion of apprenticeship or technical/trade program
- 5+ years of trades experience directly related to commercial HVAC systems
- EPA Section 608 Technician Certification (Universal)
- C20 License preferred (CA only)
- OSHA 30 Certification preferred
- Experience in the controls field is considered an asset
- Possession of a Journeyman HVAC / HVACR card is preferred
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the position
- Ability to climb ladders, scuttles, etc. to access rooftops and hard to reach equipment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of HVAC installation, troubleshooting, repair and maintenance
- Working knowledge of HVAC controls
- Ability to prepare engineering documents, specifications and cost estimates for projects
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures
- Must be comfortable with computers and Microsoft Office programs
Competitive starting salary, attractive benefits program that includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k) match, bonus pool, stock options, and PTO for eligibleemployees.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 5 years (Preferred)
- hvac: 1 year (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- On the road
- Multiple locations
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly