As a member of the Chassis team, the Suspension and Structures Design and Release Engineer will be responsible for releasing LMC’s suspension and structures and owning their function from concept through production. This will involve using experience and engineering tools to ensure both initial assemblies and component specifications support program targets and government regulatory requirements, and that all of the components in the suspension maintain adherence to product requirements throughout vehicle life.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the design/ development/ release of Chassis structures, suspension components, and assemblies, including the rear axle assembly (non-driven) and brake backing plates (at LMC, these are stator plates, as they connect the in-wheel-motors to the axle).
- Define rear suspension and structures engineering requirements needed for SOR (Statement of Requirements) definition.
- Create and own component and assembly SORs for the products you will release.
- Manage supply base during the engineering negotiations for component and assembly 2D drawing definition; release 2D drawings in LMC’s PLM
- Lead the release suspension components and other structures, including the rear axle assembly (non-driven) and stator plates
- Responsible for understanding the contribution of the parts you release to FMVSS performance requirements
- Provide design innovations and technical leadership as needed to achieve project goals.
- Maintain design ownership of project from concept through product manufacturing launch.
- Initiate and execute Engineering Change Requests as needed.
- Request and act upon results from NVH, stress/stiffness/energy and heat management and other CAE and physical testing as needed to make appropriate engineering decisions.
- Organize and participate in project design reviews at manufacturing plants, with suppliers, and at component suppliers as needed.
- Provide problem solving capability for suspension and structures-related project issues, both in-house and with the suppliers on specific applications. Track, monitor, and communicate project open issue status for project design/development/applications.
- Generate and update DFMEA for suspension and structures-related product designs, follow up on action items to address high severity and RPN items. Lead vehicle level and system DVP activities, ensure supplier validation signoff of components.
- Work to program timing milestones related to design engineering and achieve target timing for design/development/application and on time sample delivery.
- Work closely with validation engineers, and project managers to ensure compliance with government regulatory and LMC specifications and homologation requirements.
- Provide relevant technical input during the development of the structures you release and throughout sourcing process and beyond.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ Years of Automotive product engineering experience (with 5 years of experience in product engineering in suspension minimum)
- 5+ years other EV Chassis design and/or engineering experience preferred, but not required.
- Experience with benchmarking against competitor products.
- Understanding of fasteners and joints related to the above-mentioned products.
- Understanding of commercial vehicle suspension durability and life cycle requirements is a plus.
- Experience designing and engineering suspension products
- Understanding of government regulatory requirements for vehicle stability
- Must be able to work with minimal instruction and guidance to create the desired result.
- Experience with DFMEA, DVP, 2D part/ assembly drawings, GD&T and installation requirements for related products
- Knowledge of engineering software and systems (CATIA, Teamcenter, MS Office, …) as it pertains to the products specified here
- Generate and implement ideas to continuously improve work environment, systems, tools, processes as well as product cost and quality
- Experience working for or with an automotive Electric Vehicle company is a plus.
- Problem solving mindset
- Familiarity with the light to mid-duty truck segment
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $110,000.00 - $135,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Work Location: One location