Shape the Future of Aviation! This is an exciting and challenging position with the opportunity to lead improvements to the National Airspace System (NAS), and to guide the development of emerging FAA NextGen concepts.
The successful candidate will a have strong technical foundation, have knowledge of the NAS, and be able to quickly grasp new NextGen ATM concepts to successfully manage NextGen concept evaluation projects. Candidate will provide technical system engineering and life cycle program management support such as strategic planning, financial planning, schedule, and integration with other programs.
The candidate must coordinate with FAA leadership, stakeholders, program management offices, technical Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and partners to ensure that project activities and deliverables are properly scoped, defined, and delivered on schedule, and that technical and programmatic issues are mitigated or addressed.
- Critically assess ATM concepts and technologies against FAA goals, budget, and schedule to determine the best options and approach.
- Apply understanding of NextGen ATM concepts and the NAS to assess technical requirements & issues and coordinate to ensure resolution.
- Lead meetings with stakeholders, SMEs, vendors to manage scope, expectations, messaging, and successful performance of project.
- Conduct briefings and communicate with a variety of audiences, from technical teammates to high level FAA leadership.
- Manage overall project deliverables, schedule, and financials.
- Develop Statements of Work (SOW), coordinate contracting processes.
- Develop program management plans, budgets, cost estimates, and track financials.
- Assess project risks and implement mitigation strategies.
- BS or higher in Engineering or other technical field (FAA Air Traffic Controller experience can be substituted).
- 10+ years engineering, PM experience (advanced degrees may be substituted).
- Knowledge of NAS systems (e.g. ERAM, ATOP, TBFM, TFMS) and advanced ATM concepts (e.g. TBO, Time-Based Metering, SWIM, DataComm), and ability to quickly grasp new concepts and technologies.
- Experience with FAA / NextGen project management support activities.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to critically assess technical and programmatic issues.
- Ability to understand big picture while also have attention to detail.
- Self-starter demonstrating solid judgment; understands when to seek guidance but has strong ability to think and act independently under limited oversight and direction.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to interface with customers and technical professionals at all levels.
- Able to communicate technical issues to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment; able to manage project tasks, scope change, and schedules to keep projects on-track.
- Understanding of NAS Enterprise Architecture and other FAA mission/vision artifacts, FAA AMS and JRC process.
- Experience PLAs, RPDs, CIP, etc.
Keywords: Aviation, Project Management, Systems Engineering, Air Traffic Management Systems, FAA, NextGen, NAS, ATM, AMS, JRC, PLA, RPD, TBO
Job Type: Full-time
- Aviation: 3 years (Preferred)
- Project Management: 1 year (Preferred)