The Principal Quality Engineer develops, establishes and maintains quality engineering methodologies, systems and practices to meet PPT, regulatory, and customer requirements. Associates in this position will collaborate with cross-functional teams to improve awareness, visibility, and communication of quality initiatives. The Principal Engineer will drive departmental and corporate quality systems goals and priorities and will be a champion of problem-solving and continuous improvement throughout the entire manufacturing facility.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Per the PPT Quality Manual, promote and assist with management of food safety and the Quality Management System within PPT including compliance, training, corrective actions, and process improvements.
- Act as a change agent by leading quality initiatives and continuous improvement throughout the manufacturing facility.
- Actively investigates, identifies, and implements best-in-class quality systems/engineering procedures and standard work.
- Deploys sound problem-solving tools to identify root causes to develop robust, and timely solutions for internal and external CAPAs.
- Shares systematic problem-solving methodologies with associates to promote a problem-solving, quality-focused, culture.
- Documents non-conforming material in the Quality Management module. Provides evidence of the defect (sample, photo or video), quantity, job number and operator number(s), supplier tags, etc. for evaluation and to initiate Corrective Action Responses (CARs).
- Collaborate with maintenance and production on preventative maintenance recommendations for optimal product quality and machine uptime.
- Capture best practice machine setup parameters, database and deploy as Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for each item type + asset.
- Ensure that all responsibilities and functions performed are in accordance with company procedures and meet quality standards in place.
- Ensure regular attendance to prevent excessive delays in completing the job duties.
- Deploy other Lean methodologies such as the A3 Process, 5S, Kaizen events, etc.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Troubleshoot plant equipment, machinery, and lab equipment as needed.
- As a support role to the production centers that moves freely between departments. This position is expected to maintain a steady and urgent pace to positively impact and inspire the pace of the associates in the plant.
- Perform other duties which may be assigned as part of the essential functions of the position.
- Be Safe! Encourage all employees to engage in safe working behaviors.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience in manufacturing, preferably in a food manufacturing industry.
- Strong analytical skills, excellent problem-solving mindset.
- Able to read and understand work instructions and accept verbal direction to successfully complete procedures and assigned tasks.
- Lean certification preferred (Six Sigma, Green Belt, Certified Quality Engineer, etc.)
- Good verbal and written communication skills required, and proven experience with effective teams and continuous improvement methods strongly preferred.
Working Conditions and/or Physical Requirements:
- Able to lift and ensure proper handling of items up to 50 pounds.
- Able to stand on feet for most of the shift.
- Able to tell differences in printed colors and compare to color standards for quality control audits.
- Must travel (up to 10%) as required; overnight travel may be required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Willingness to be trained in the proper handling and disposal of Hazardous waste.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
Company's Facebook page: