Scientific Applications & Research Associates, Inc. (SARA) is a world-class Defense Research and Development enterprise, with a charter to create new and emerging technology innovations in support of Commercial & Government organizations. We have expertise in RF, EMP, Pulsed Power, Acoustics and Threat Warning Systems; partnering with our customers to address real world problems with cost effective solutions… that work.
Scientific Applications and Research Associates (SARA) Inc. is looking for an experienced Mechanical Engineer to join its Artificial Perception and Threat Awareness (APTA) division, located in Colorado Springs, CO. As part of APTA, you will contribute to projects in the late R&D/pre-production/low-rate production phases of the product development lifecycle, some of which address drone navigation and safety, RF sensors on moving platforms, and hostile-fire warning. The selectee will have the chance to exercise his/her initiative, adaptability, drive, and of course, subject matter mastery in a fast-paced, highly-technical environment. The chosen candidate will work alongside talented program managers, engineers, software developers, physicists, and technicians on long-term programs supporting the DoD, DoE, and their contractors.
- Work closely with R&D team to prepare models and detail drawings which include multiple views and application of mathematics and physics to develop working prototypes to advance technology development.
- Research, design and evaluate mechanical products, systems and processes using engineering principles. Must consider relative costs and benefits of potential efforts to evaluate the most appropriate action and structural design.
- Research and analyze data such as customer design proposals, specifications, and manuals to evaluate feasibility, cost, and/or maintenance requirements of product line.
- Work as part of a cross-functional team to resolve system issues and provide technical information. Recommend design modifications to eliminate system malfunctions. Conduct research that tests or analyzes the design, operation, or performance of equipment. Write performance requirements for system.
- Identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to goals of the system.
- Experience with structural design or electrical system design a plus
- Ability to work autonomously combined with excellent problem-solving skills to effectively research answers to conceptual questions utilizing internal and external resources
- Excellent time management skills; thrive in a deadline-driven environment juggling multiple priorities and projects
- Upbeat, positive, high energy with a “can do” attitude; react well under pressure
- Ability to work as part of a team, both in-house and on-site required
- Extremely reliable and dependable: Timely and complete deliverables are the norm. We are a results-oriented organization!
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Ability to carry out various responsibilities such as purchasing, manufacturing and others, to ensure final delivered product meets end user expectations.
- Must have knowledge of manufacturing materials and their inherent properties
- Ability to work in rapid-prototyping environment with agility and openness to changes. Should be able to fabricate and concept prototypes quickly.
- In-Depth understanding of manufacturing, process improvements and documentation.
- 5 to 10 years' demonstrated experience researching new designs or applications of mechanical or electromechanical equipment
- Experience in 3D SolidWorks modeling and various fabrication processes (rapid prototyping, machining, sheet metal, etc.)
What’s in it for you?
- Industry leading benefits package
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Program
- Tuition & Certificate Reimbursement
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Employee Project Bonuses
- 401(k)/Profit Sharing, and Stock Ownership
Salaries at SARA are competitive and are commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the individual. SARA is headquartered in the Los Angeles/Orange County area of Southern California and has offices in San Juan Capistrano, California, Colorado Springs, Colorado and Tyler, Texas.
SARA, Inc. is an EEOC/Title VII/ADA compliant federally contracted employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. Also, as a federal contractor, SARA must abide by the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and maintains a drug-free workplace regardless of local and state allowance.
U.S. citizenship is required for most positions. (www.SARA.com)