Application Engineer / Programmer
Knight Watch, Inc. is seeking a Application Engineer / Programmer for our Kalamazoo, MI location. An Application Engineer / Programmer is someone who manages, assists and programs technical aspects of projects and services that Knight Watch offers. They also provide technical support and expertise to internal departments, customers, testing applications, responding to customer feedback, installations, maintenance and often performing product demonstrations and training. Coordinates communication with the project manager and customer during all phases of the project. They also coordinate such aspects and deliverables with customer personnel, and ensure that all installed equipment is programmed, documented and labeled per customer and company requirements and standards. They shall be able to answer questions for customers in a technical manner, e.g., network requirements, equipment needs, wiring requirements and how the system(s) will affect their environment and infrastructure (either by system programming or network implications). Responsible for ensuring that we complete projects and service calls in a timely manner; and working together across all departments to maintain consistency across all platforms. As a member of the IT Team, the individual may also be responsible for some internal special projects, troubleshooting or maintenance.
Mission: We are driven to provide solutions that better the lives of our customers and employees. We provide resources our employees need to succeed in and out of the workplace.
· Completes software programming utilizing standards as required. Communicates detailed information regarding the design and operation to customers, Knight Watch staff and subcontractors.
· Manage and complete programming and downloading of system controllers and peripherals.
· Performs commissioning of all system controllers as required. Ensures system functionality when compared to project documents and expectations.
· Revise project documents for accurate as-built and commissioning documentation.
· Provides coaching, mentoring and technical assistance to installation and service technicians. Ensure that delegated tasks are performed accurately in a timely manner.
· Attend project meetings as required
· Communicate project details to project manager, technicians and customer as required.
· Application Engineers must provide customers with ongoing technical support. This support includes responding to customer issues, providing updated software that solves bug issues, performing installs for customers and working with the customer service team.
· In order to design and re-design effective applications, Application Engineers / Programmer must acquire and analyze customer needs and problems, making recommendations to the engineering team to satisfy needs and develop solutions. They generate ideas for software products that innovate and fill gaps in the current market.
· Performs training for owners and operators. Develops site-specific training that ensures the owner/operator has been trained. Provides proper documentation and manuals for system operation.
· Establish and cultivate long-term relationships with customers, contractors, consultants and subcontractors.
· Ability to troubleshoot Windows Operating Systems for Servers, PC, Laptops and Tablets
· A good understanding and implementation of IP networks at all OSI layers, including the tools and methods used to troubleshoot them
· Ability, drive and ambition for continued learning on system control technologies
· Research, learn and understand how new products can be implemented, i.e., R&D
· Thrives in fast-paced environment
· Team Player
· Expert problem-solving skills
· Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
· Good time management skills
· Ability to work autonomously
· Confidence in computers, applications and network fundamentals
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, Visio, AutoCad, Adobe Creative Suite
· Strong Computer and Networking skills
· Proficient with and knowledgeable of different Operating Systems
· Willing to obtain a comprehensive technical understanding of all current product offerings
· Understanding of how our products and services will work with other systems
· Application and programming skills for products and services offered
· Good understanding of OSI Layer 3, e.g., IP addressing, CIDR, tunneling
· Good understanding of OSI Layer 2, e.g., VLANs and Ethernet
· Good understanding of Routing and ACLs
· Ability to use and understand troubleshooting utilities, e.g., Wireshark, ping, traceroute, netstat
· Solid understanding of SQL, including server administration, query design, etc.
· Knowledge of RAID 1, 5 and 6; SANs and NAS; and other storage systems and their capabilities and limitations.
· Ability to replace hardware on servers, desktops, laptops, etc.
· Ability to perform system administration tasks, including management of: event logs, scheduled tasks, services, DCOM configuration
· Knowledge of standard sysadmin technologies and utilities, e.g., RDP, VNC, SSH, pstools
· Assist with internal systems and network design and maintenance as needed
· Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
· Excellent Customer Service skills
· High School Diploma
· Driver’s License
· Experience with Access Control, CCTV, Security and Fire Systems, RFID Location Systems and HVAC
· Four+ years of experience in controls installation, programming and troubleshooting systems or equivalent
Job Type: Full-Time
· Working with a team that values teamwork and growth in their profession
· Relocation assistance and compensation negotiable
· Bonus potential
· Health Insurance Available
· Vision available
· Dental available
· Life insurance
· Holiday Pay
Overall compensation varies based on experience level. Starting salary will be based on experience, qualifications, track record and other relevant criteria.
Job Type: Full-time