SUMMARY: The EHS Engineer serves in a cross-functional role in planning, development, administration and maintenance of Heartland’s Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) programs at the assigned Heartland manufacturing site. The EHS Engineer works with all levels of the site to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations. The EHS Engineer is a senior-level role who will work in combination with the EHS team. The EHS Engineer is expected to serve as a mentor in providing professional guidance to the junior-level team members. The EHS engineer continuously strives to optimize organizational safety culture and Environmental Management System (EMS) performance.
The position reports to the EHS Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensures that the site’s EHS compliance obligations meet federal, state and local regulations.
- Administers the site’s ISO 14001 EMS and performance in accordance with the organizational objectives and targets.
- Develops, implements and communicates EHS programs designed to increase employee awareness and knowledge of EHS compliance policies.
- Conducts site health & safety assessments to evaluate employee exposure to potential hazards and implement appropriate controls to eliminate hazardous exposures.
- Recommends and develops appropriate strategies to address site safety, health and environmental policies/ standards and regulatory requirements.
- Investigates and resolves issues, questions, or concerns received at the site, among outside customers, regulatory agencies, etc.
- Develops and implements the EHS training programs.
- Serves as the onsite subject matter expert to assist in all environmental and safety compliance activities and initiatives.
- Oversees the site’s emergency action plan and activities as required.
- Leads the site’s medical first response team.
- Leads the site’s spill response team.
- Leads the site’s by-product management and recycling operations.
- Performs data entry and records management.
- Conducts business with third-party service providers, contractors and government agencies.
- Supports the EHS Manager in the development and implementation of a budget for the EHS department.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
- Required Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Occupational Safety, Sustainability, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering, or related science/ technical degree.
- Other degrees will be considered with applicable industry experience.
- 3-6 years of progressive EHS work experience in manufacturing, consulting services, government or related industry.
To perform this job successfully, an individual is expected to:
· Have previous experience working with environmental regulations including but not limited to air permits, hazardous waste & hazardous materials management, stormwater permits, emergency planning & reporting.
· Have previous experience working with occupational health & safety regulations and practices.
· Have previous experience with waste management, hazardous materials transportation, or by-product/ recycling.
· Have the passion and desire to create positive change.
· Be self-motivated.
· Be highly organized.
· Have excellent communications skills.
· Have an ability to coach and be a mentor to others.
· Be able to manage multiple assignments in a fast-paced work environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have proficiency with the following:
· MS Windows suite including Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Outlook.
· Ability to use organization-specific software suite.
· Must be able to able to utilize electronic filing system, printers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
· Has the authority and responsibility to enforce and promote safety and compliance policies to all employees, contractors and visitors.
· Has the authority and responsibility to stop work in the event of an incident or observation that would otherwise jeopardize the health & safety of employees or the surrounding community.
· Supports the EHS team in daily tasks and EHS objectives and targets.
· Serves as a mentor to the EHS Coordinator in professional guidance.
· Supervises the daily work activities of the site waste/ recycling material handlers.
· Supervises contractors and service providers performing work on Heartland’s behalf.
· Ability to use e-mail effectively as a communication tool.
· Ability to use proper grammar and spelling.
· Ability to read and analyze information.
· Ability to write reports, policies and work instructions.
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
· Ability to work with basic mathematical concepts including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages and calculating averages.
· Must be able to understand unit conversions with the metric system.
- Ability to logically solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists or is non-existent.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to strategically plan and have the foresight for changing conditions.
Health and Safety Conditions:
- Know all potential work and environmental hazards.
- PPE Requirements: Safety glasses and any other required PPE in accordance with site-specific policy and for the hazards and environmental conditions present.
- Work around hazardous materials such as solvents, adhesives, isocyanates, corrosives and oils.
- Ability to wear a respiratory is required.
- Must be OSHA HAZWOPER-trained at or above the 24-hour level or the ability to attend course within first 60 days of assignment.
- Must have OSHA 30-Hour General Industry safety certification or the ability to attend course within first 120 days of assignment.
- Must be certified in First Aid/CPR training or the ability to attend course to obtain certification within first 120 days of assignment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
· The employee is required to stand, walk, sit and talk and hear.
· The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and / or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Job descriptions are not intended to create a contract, nor are they to be construed to constitute contractual obligations of any kind or a contract of employment between Heartland Automotive LLC and any of its employees. The provisions of job descriptions have been developed at the discretion of management and may be amended or cancelled at any time by Heartland Automotive LLC with or without notice.
Employment with Heartland Automotive LLC is voluntarily entered into, and the employee is free to resign at will at any time, with or without cause. Similarly, Heartland Automotive LLC may terminate the employment relationship at will at any time, with or without notice or cause, so long as there is not violation of applicable federal or state law.
SUMMARY OF PHYSICAL DEMANDS
q Sedentary--------10 pounds occasionally
q Light------------20 pounds occasionally; frequently up to 10 pounds
q Medium---------21-50 pounds occasionally; frequently 10-25 pounds
q Heavy-----------51-100 pounds occasionally; frequently 25-50 pounds
q Very Heavy-----100 + pounds occasionally; frequently 50+ pounds
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $70,000.00 /year
- Environmental Engineering: 3 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required