Riverside Research’s Modeling and Application Development Group has an opening for a Software Systems Engineer. The software systems engineer in this position will be asked to learn about the application’s existing features and services, and take on the internal customer role for defining and documenting external customer requirements. This candidate will work with a small development team, as well as the government customer, to define software requirements, model satellite and sensor systems, and act as an internal subject matter expert on a satellite collection planning application. The software application is part of a suite of satellite mission planning and visualization tools (https://riversideresearch.org/what-we-do/tools/collection-planning-suite-cps)
Candidates will work from our office in Centreville, VA.
As a not-for-profit company, Riverside Research re-invests annual profits in independent research and development projects, community outreach initiatives, and employee benefits that exceed the industry average. Your career development is enhanced by the opportunity to work with a broad variety of experts in cutting-edge engineering and research disciplines and personalized attention from Riverside Research senior managers.
All Riverside Research opportunities require U.S. citizenship.
HIRES WITH AN ACTIVE TOP SECRET/SCI (TS/SCI) CLEARANCE ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A $7,500 SIGN-ON BONUS.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, storyboards, site visits, use cases, scenarios, and/or task and workflow analysis.
- Perform complex research and analysis
- Capture, analyze, document, and manage requirements, working with stakeholders to provide additional detail where necessary
- Produce system requirements and software requirement specifications
- Document concept of operations while working closely with subject matter experts and stakeholders, both at Riverside Research and the government customer
- Work with Riverside Research’s Program Management to mitigate risk by identifying requirements scope creep
- Communicate designs with the customer
- Work closely with engineering leads, software engineers, program managers, and testers to ensure that customer needs are met
- Participate in peer reviews of work products
- Support business development and proposal activities by providing information regarding additional business opportunities with the customer
- Other duties as assigned
- Active TOP SECRET/SCI clearance (TS/SCI)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical discipline, preferably in Engineering or Computer Science
- Experience with orbital mechanics and satellite modeling, preferably in the domain of collection planning
- Five (5) or more years of experience performing requirements derivation and management, within an Agile development lifecycle
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability and drive to deliver on time, while working in a semi-autonomous fashion
- Experience with modelling techniques, e.g. use cases, activity diagram, flow charts, etc.
- Master’s degree or higher in a technical discipline, preferably in Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Computer Science
- Five (5) or more years of experience with collection planning
- Five (5) or more years of experience as a software developer, preferably leveraging the Microsoft .NET Framework
- Experience working with a distributed technical team
- Experience working with Agile methodologies, such as scrum or SAFe
- Experience working as project manager and/or a scrum master
- Experience with Atlassian tools (JIRA and Confluence)
Riverside Research strives to be one of America’s premier providers of independent, trusted technical and scientific expertise. As we continue to add experienced, technically astute staff, we are looking for highly motivated, talented team members that can help our DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) customers continue delivery of world class programs. As a not-for-profit, technology-oriented Defense Company, we believe service to customers and support of our staff is our mission. Our goal is to serve as a destination company by providing an industry-leading, positive, and rewarding employee experience for all who join us. We aspire to be a valued partner to our customers and to earn their trust through our unwavering commitment to achieve timely, innovative, cost-effective and mission-focused solutions.
All positions at Riverside Research are subject to background investigations. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability, and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans, and requires affirmative action by covered contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.