Sr. Backend Engineer Job Description
Katapult is all about creating opportunities. As a leader in the lease-to-own marketplace, we provide alternative purchasing opportunities to consumers and we recognize that opportunity is everything! Likewise, Katapult recognizes the importance of career opportunities! With career planning and evolving innovation, the people at Katapult are the key to our success. We are always on a search for individuals who strive for excellence and question the status quo. We seek talented and motivated individuals who possess a willingness to learn and the ability to synthesize new concepts with past work experiences. With a comprehensive benefits package, a culture of support and accountability, and advanced career growth opportunities, Katapult is constantly focusing on our people.
Katapult is seeking a Sr. Backend Engineer to work out of our Plano, Texas office (staff currently working remote due to COVID). The Sr. Backend Engineer is responsible for developing the next-generation of products and systems that serve our customers, merchants, partners, and employees. This individual will have to gain a deep understanding of our merchants, partners, customers, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new challenges across the full-stack as the company pushes technology forward. The Sr. Backend Engineer will design, implement, and extend core platform services and API’s to enable new products and features to be built out. Katapult aims to have teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they built.
Primary Job Duties
- Ensures efficient execution of overall product delivery by prioritizing, planning and tracking sprint progress. This can include development of shippable code
- Designs/codes applications following specifications using the appropriate tools
- Maintains and modifies existing applications without supervision as well as under direction from senior staff members
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server-side logic
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Integration of data storage solutions
- Performs maintenance programming for existing versions
- Production support during off-hours, weekends and holidays
- Performs custom programming at customer request
- Assumes responsibility for ongoing data architecture for the product.
- Document existing and new system & processes
- Implementation of applications and software upgrades, as well as performance troubleshooting and tuning
- Work with leadership to constantly monitor and improve delivery of IT systems and support
- Possess strong sense of ownership
- Proactively understand, analyze and research new technical problems when needed
- Performs testing and integration of computer systems, subsystems and components.
- Must be able to balance multiple priorities while navigating daily opportunities.
- Understands the concept of writing good integration APIs for user facing elements that are developed by front end developers.
- Must be able to handle multiple integration projects simultaneously
- Build out exciting new features and support existing features in our plugins
- Improve onboarding and UX for retail partners
- Learn new eCommerce platforms and assist with development
- Analyze/debug performance issues across distributed services
- Mentoring junior engineers and leveling up the team’s capacity to execute on its deliverables with quality
- Leading technical projects from specification and planning to implementation with multiple engineers, testing and deployment into production
- Expert in Python/Django
- Experience with some ORM (Object Relational Mapper) libraries
- Able to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Understanding of the threading limitations of Python, and multi-process architecture
- Good understanding of server-side templating languages such as Jinja 2, Mako, etc.
- Experience in cloud platforms (preferable AWS: both traditional EC2 and serverless Lambda), micro-services architecture, CI/CD solutions (including Docker), DevOps principles, message queue systems, event-driven architectures, and background task management.
- Fluent in back-end development and distributed systems (we use server-side Python, Airflow)
- Experience with AWS Lambda/Serverless and other AWS Technologies (IAM, EC2, ELB, S3, RDS, API Gateway, Auto-scaling, SNS, SQS, etc.), Terraform, Jenkins, Docker, XML/JSON/YAML
- Strong understanding of Relational databases i.e Postgres / MySql and exposure of any of the NoSql Databases i.e MongoDB / DynamoDB.
- Must have strong knowledge of REST APIs principles, protocols & verbs. Strong understanding of design patterns.
- Proficiency in API security frameworks, token management and user access control including OAuth, JWT, etc.
- Strong understanding of messaging queues like RabbitMQ / ActiveMQ / Kafka. Strong understanding of caching tools Redis / Memcache.
- Demonstrated capability with object-oriented development in Python
- Experience with the 3rd Party APIs, and web services integrations (REST/SOAP/GraphQL)
- Understanding of accessibility and security compliance
- Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Familiarity with event-driven programming in Python
- Understanding of the differences between multiple delivery platforms, such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform
- Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Must be able to write maintainable/scalable/efficient code.
- Strong unit test and debugging skills
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tool Git
- Self-directed with a start-up/entrepreneur mindset
- Passion about learning technology and problem solving
- Communication Proficiency
- Time management
- Strong desire to think creatively and “outside the box” to best address customer needs
* Katapult is not currently considering candidates who require work sponsorship.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $125,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
We're all working remotely and we want what is best for our employees and their families. We will have a day 1 training class and then the remainder of training (2 weeks) will all be remote. Amazing connected work culture that works during COVID!
- Backend Engineering: 3 years (Preferred)
- Plano, TX 75024 (Required)
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19