An Oracle Software Developer is primarily responsible for developing new systems and maintenance of Allied’s existing systems. Primary duties include the development and support of new systems using Oracle development tools. Extensive use of SQL and PL/SQL languages is required. Some Java programming may also be performed. The Developer may be required to learn how to configure and use new software products and development tools on their workstation.
The primary role of this position is to perform computer software development based on business specifications and system design requirements. The abilities of the person in this position will determine the extent to which this person is involved with the analysis and system design.
- Participate in the development of new Oracle-based systems. Oracle development utilizes Oracle Forms, BI Publisher, SQL PL/SQL, and JAVA languages. Java experience preferred, but optional. Adhere to coding standards and other development standards.
- Support production Oracle systems. Implement changes to existing internal systems.
- Support end-users of systems. Develop or help end-users develop database queries. Perform problem resolution. Validate database data content. Document how program or system was developed or how it is to be used.
- Provide any other duties as directed by the IS Manager.
- Assist with software upgrades.
- Perform any special work that may require off-hours work.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to perform online research and acquire new skills. Ability to learn and understand insurance product coverage benefits and rating requirements.
- Ability to work under time constraints and meet deadlines. Ability to handle stress with varying workloads that sometimes require off-hours work.
- Good communication skills, i.e., ability to relay technical information to others in the department and company and to translate technical language into user-friendly terminology. Ability to provide professional and courteous service.
- Strong logic and analytical skills.
- Good understanding of departmental philosophy and schedules.
- Ability to speak, read, comprehend and follow written and verbal English instructions. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to adhere to department and company required standards.
- Ability to meet company attendance requirements.
- Ability to stay seated for prolonged periods of time.
- Accomplished experience in the following skills:
- Writing Oracle SQL.
- Writing PL/SQL.
- Oracle Developer or other Oracle Development Tools.
- Solid testing and debugging skills.
FACTORS IMPORTANT TO SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF POSITION: *
- Interpersonal skills
- Analytical ability
- Software development design skills
- Software program debugging skills
- Team player
- Math skills
The position requires that the individual be able to understand existing Oracle programs and develop new system capabilities. Must be able to learn new computer technologies. The individual will take direction from multiple persons as responsibilities dictate.
NOTE: Applicants who need accommodation for an interview or job testing, please request this in advance to the Human Resources Department.
Job Type: Full-time