Team and Role Overview
Relativity seeks a highly talented Propulsion Test Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will help build the core of our propulsion capability via the development and operation of a world-class test facility for components, engines, and complete stages. A high degree of autonomy and leadership is required.
This position is based at our Mississippi test site but requires travel to our Los Angeles HQ as needed.
- Design advanced propulsion test stands, including fabrication drawings, fluids schematics, and instrumentation lists.
- Supervise the fabrication, assembly, and test of these facilities.
- Create test sequences, procedures, operations, and data review processes with a high degree of safety and fault tolerance.
- Lead testing operations under high intensity conditions, with imperative attention to detail.
- Quickly develop and iterate on propulsion designs based on real test data.
- Potential travel to and from various production, test, and launch locations.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a related field.
- Experience designing, fabricating, and testing complex fluids test systems.
- Ability to develop and review complex fluid schematics.
- Knowledge of common fluid test instrumentation and components, such as pressure transducers, thermocouples, flow meters, accelerometers, strain gauges, load cells, relays, and solenoid/other valves.
- Able to work in a fast-paced and intense startup environment.
- Ability to complete projects with ownership of end-to-end solutions and minimal oversight.
- Proven judgment in making coupled technical and business decisions balancing both big picture and execution-oriented factors.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience developing rocket engine injectors, chambers, nozzles, valves, pumps, and other components in a flight-qualification setting.
- Experience with 3D Computer-Aided Design (CAD), (preferably PTC Creo).
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
- Proficiency in Geometric Tolerancing & Dimensioning (GD&T).
- Familiarity designing and operating Data Acquisition and Control systems.
- Experience leading a diverse team of engineers and technicians.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 ( http://126.96.36.199/ ) is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.