The DuBois & King Planning Group is seeking to hire a talented individual who has a strong commitment to planning and making our communities better places to live, work and play. A candidate for this position could be an engineer or landscape architect, but must have at least 2-5 years of experience working in planning or a related field.
Essential to this position is an enthusiasm for making our villages and downtowns safer and more vibrant places to walk and bike. The primary focus of work for this position would be transportation planning in New England, recognizing the direct connection between our streets and the vitality and vibrancy of our communities. Ample opportunity to work on projects beyond transportation planning would also be available to our ideal candidate.
This position can be based in our So. Burlington or Randolph, Vermont offices.
Applicants must be excellent communicators. Writing, speaking, and graphic communication skills are highly valued in all contexts and with all audiences. The ideal candidate should have:
- A strong understanding of transportation infrastructure and the approaches to transportation planning and design that support all users and modes of travel.
- A fundamental belief that Planning is an essential component of the design, engineering, and construction process.
- A commitment to and passion for making our streets accessible and usable by all segments of the population.
- An understanding of the relationship between the streetscape, active transportation and the relative liveability of a community.
- A “team-first” mindset that encourages collaboration, dialogue and the desire to elevate the collective quality of our work to better serve the communities we work with.
- A high level of comfort with engaging the public and soliciting feedback from communities as well as within our team.
- A willingness to learn new skills and to provide planning assistance to other parts of the firm.
- A strong aptitude for the written word. Our Transportation Planner must be able to write well and be able to modify their approach to writing based on the intended audience.
- An understanding that Planning is for everyone and the ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with all populations verbally. We strive to treat all people equally and work to have all voices heard.
- A creative mindset and willingness to embrace thinking “outside the box” to develop creative and innovative solutions for the communities and clients we work with.
We recognize few applicants will have all the qualifications listed below, but are looking for individuals who bring the right combination of experience, skills, and interpersonal intelligence to our team. The following expertise, or a combination of these skills based on your profession, is desired:
- Visual Communication - A picture is worth a thousand words. Experience with visual communication tools such as the Adobe Suite, Sketchup, and other modeling and rendering software, would be considered valuable.
- CADD Skills - Familiarity with CADD and similar software. A component of our Transportation Planning work involves the development of conceptual designs and sharing of data and information in CADD.
- GIS Skills - GIS Mapping using current versions of ArcGIS is an often used form of communication and data analysis in our work.
- Traffic Modelling experience - Transportation planning projects often involve a holistic evaluation of intersections, including capacity and queuing analyses. Skills in traffic modelling software such as Synchro and SIDRA are a plus.
- Project Management experience - The ability to serve our clients, manage projects and keep on budget while providing the best deliverables possible is important.
This position will be based in Vermont. We offer competitive salary; excellent fringe benefit program; ESOP Company. Visit our website at http://www.dubois-king.com.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Engineering Planning: 2 years (Required)
- Transportation planning: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location