Bowery is growing food for a better future by revolutionizing agriculture. Our modern farming company combines the benefits of the best local farms with advances made possible by technology to grow produce you can feel good about eating. BoweryOS, our proprietary software system, uses vision systems, automation technology, and machine learning to monitor plants and all the variables that drive their growth 24/7. Because we control the entire process from seed to store, Bowery farms use zero pesticides, 95% less water, and are 100+ times more productive on the same footprint of land than traditional agriculture. Bowery produce is currently available at select Whole Foods and Foragers stores in the Tristate area, and featured on the menus of Tom Colicchio’s New York restaurants Craft and Temple Court. Based in New York City, the company has raised over $170 million from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, Temasek and Almanac.
Bowery Farming is seeking an Automation Supervisor who will oversee all aspects of the daily automation operations in our farms. Reporting to the Head of Grow Operations, you will be responsible for leading, developing, and engaging a team of automation technicians across various shifts as they support multiple farms. To achieve this, Automation Supervisors are problem solvers who are able to set goals, interpret data, and deliver business results. You will operate in a multidisciplinary environment with engineers, computer and agricultural scientists, maintenance operators and Farm Operations leadership. This role will be based from our Farm in Kearny, NJ, supporting local and remote operations teams.
What You’ll Do
- Supervise a team of Automation Technicians to ensure that production floor stays on schedule
- Align with the production team on creating the natural interactions between farm operators and automation
- Partner with the Engineering team to identify opportunities and test their mechanical and software based solutions
- Onboard, train and coach new hires
- Maintain overall responsibility for the performance of the shift, including safety, quality, cost, productivity, and delivery
- Implement all SOPs and drive compliance with crops and system health in partnership with operations, software, and maintenance
- Plan shift and work schedules for all automation staff on shift to ensure high efficiency & quality
- Maintain production areas to ensure compliance with company quality, sanitation and Food Safety standards
- Identify and implement methods and practices to achieve operational improvements in efficiency, quality, delivery, and operating profits
- Collect & analyze data in order to proactively identify automation issues or develop plans to resolve existing issues
- Provide a safe working environment by maintaining quality equipment and enforcing adherence to developed work practices
- Ensure employees have the right tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
- Promote a culture of world class performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Provide coaching, teaching, and mentorship to a diverse and engaged team
- Influence and drive improvements to the Bowery Farming production software system
- Ensure all required KPI’s are met regarding facilities goals on safety, production, quality, and costs.
- Collaborate with leaders across Bowery to identify and understand operational opportunities for improvement
Who You Are
- Knowledge of user Interfaces that connect to industrial equipment
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and superior management skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Detail & process-oriented
- Bachelor's degree in STEM or Business Management OR 2+ years of experience in a leadership role in a related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in operations or engineering role with demonstrated ability to lead change
Nice to Have
- Experience managing an OSHA compliance program a plus
- Experience with farming and growing operations, and food safety and production a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.