Hanson is rated #2 Best Places to Work in Florida and #4 Best Place to Work in Illinois. Now is your chance to help grow our Indianapolis office!
Hanson Professional Services Inc. is seeking a candidate to fill a full time Roadway Designer position in the Indianapolis, Indiana or Louisville, Kentucky office.
This person is expected to perform a key role on roadway and intersection design projects. Position requires the ability to work with multidisciplinary design teams on a variety of road related projects, take direction from multiple supervisors, and coordinate with other staff. It is important that this position can support project teams from initial planning through design to construction. Projects will generally involve roadway and highway design projects for local governments, state departments of transportation, and private clients. This position is an entry-level position geared for professional learning, growth, and increased responsibility.
A Day in the Life of a Roadway Designer at Hanson
Here’s a snapshot of what you would do in this role:
- Perform engineering calculations, utilize computer software for analysis and design, and work efficiently with other team members for project completion.
- Obtain permitting, collect existing physical data, and provide planning, design, and construction-related services for roadways, including rights-of-way and easement acquisition, utility adjustments, storm water management design, pavement design, and related project-specific roadway accessory elements design.
- Assist in project activities such as site investigations and field reconnaissance, permit application and processing assistance, utility locations, computer modelling, construction document preparation, construction contractor pricing and procurement assistance, report of findings preparation, and project close-out documentation.
- Collaborate with senior technical staff.
- Learn and perform roadway geometric design, roadside safety design, and maintenance of traffic design.
- There may be opportunities to perform roadway drainage design, traffic analyses, sign and marking design, or construction observation. Other duties as assigned.
What We’re Looking For
We feel the following qualifications would set you up for success in this role:
- A bachelor's degree in civil engineering is required. Additional course work in transportation is desirable.
- Successfully passed FE exam or scheduled to take before graduation.
- 0 to 2 years of roadway project experience.
- CAD experience and/or willingness to learn MicroStation/PowerGeopak/InRoads (OpenRoads) software.
- Working knowledge of AASHTO “Green Book” and state specific roadway design manuals is desirable.
- Familiarity with 3D modeling or willingness to learn 3D modeling for roadway projects.
- Interest in experiencing a variety of assignments.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to develop and present concepts.
- Must be able to build effective relationships with internal and external client bases.
- Strong oral communication and technical writing skills.
- Strong sense of urgency and self-initiative to meet client deadlines.
Working at Hanson:
- Must be able to collaborate remotely with colleagues in other offices.
- Candidate must be willing to accept out-of-town travel assignments and to work overtime to meet project demands.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Our focus on people means we offer a generous benefits program to help you create a solid foundation for health and security throughout your career, including:
- Competitive compensation
- Performance bonuses
- 401(k) with matching contribution
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Comprehensive health & well-being plans
- Financial wellness plans
- Work-life balance programs
Want to know more? Visit our benefits page for all the details.
We understand that selecting a job is about more than the day-to-day tasks. It’s important to feel like you belong and safe to grow and progress along your career path. You’ll find that at Hanson. We have an inclusive, diverse workforce awaiting to connect with you and numerous opportunities to cultivate your career, including:
- Monthly educational webinars
- Leadership training
- Lunch & learn development sessions
- 24/7 access to thousands of skill-building courses
- Mentorship opportunities
- Award-winning internship program
- Employee recognition
- And so much more!
As employers/governmental contractors, we comply with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities where they apply. To assist us in meeting our affirmative action goals, employees are encouraged to refer minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY — AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
EEO / MINORITY / FEMALE / INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES / VETERAN
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or agencies/staffing firms. Resumes are only accepted from recruiters and agency/staffing firms if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the recruiting effort and authorized for a specified position.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Do you now, or will you in the future, require sponsorship to work in the US?
- MicroStation or AutoCAD: 1 year (Preferred)
- Fundamentals of Engineering (Preferred)
Work Location: One location