A DIFFERENT KIND OF …
“We’re working to run a different kind of company. The kind of place we’d want to work, that makes the kind of food we’d like to eat, and that strives for a healthier, more sustainable world –the kind of world we’d like to pass on to our children.” –Kit Crawford, Co-Founder
Guided by our innovative business model & the Five Aspirations – Sustaining our Business, Brands, People, Community & Planet- we believe that food provides health, joy and energy to do the things we love. Working at Clif Bar Baking Company is a chance to make impactful changes. To your career. To your community. To your planet. And, to your life!
The Engineering Team is looking for a Project Engineer to…
Manage capital projects involving manufacturing process and packaging systems and will assume additional project engineering responsibilities capacity, productivity, and facilities to support the Clif Bar Bakeries Engineering Team. This person will be responsible for developing and maintaining project scope, budget, timelines, risks, and success criteria to meet given objectives to support the Five Aspirations.
- Ensure personal safety, food safety and quality protocols are followed.
- Actively lead and manage large, complex process and packaging system projects to positively impact the 5 Aspirations.
- Able to manage a large and diverse contractor and supplier base as projects are implemented within Clif Bar and Copacker bakeries.
- Develop scopes of work and bid packages for capital projects and present to management for authorization to implement projects in support of our Five Aspirations. Assist in developing and analyzing project justification with internal Accounting and Finance partners.
- Actively support operations with CapEx and non-CapEx solutions to improve capacity, productivity, and quality at Clif Bar bakeries.
- Leads, facilitates, and coordinates cross-functional teams through the project process.
- Ability to prioritize risks and quickly issue resolution options and action plans.
- Manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously without impacting timelines. Ensure that all projects are completed to project requirements and to the bakery Operations team’s expectations in a safe, timely, and satisfactory manner.
- Ensure efficient handover of new installations to bakery Operations team through proper training and documentation of new equipment and/or packaging/process system.
- Coordinate mechanical and electrical installation requirements with both outside contractors and internal resources where applicable.
- Serve as a passionate, self-aware leader who actively contributes to a high-performance culture within the Engineering team. Inspires and motivates others through positive attitude, servant leadership, accountability, and transparency.
- Communicates throughout the organization on the project from conceptualization to implementation.
- Develop and maintain positive business relationships with employees, customers, suppliers, and industry contacts.
- Ensures all project implementation activities are in full compliance with corporate capital control policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the Clif Bar Bakeries overall capital & strategic planning with capability needs and timing.
- Bid, award, and administer purchase orders for equipment and contracts for construction and engineering. Develop procurement, installation, and start-up schedules. Direct the implementation, construction, and successful start-up of the capital project.
- Continuously observe areas for plant improvements and present these opportunities to appropriate stakeholders. For ongoing improvement projects.
- Continuously observe the engineering processes and present improvement opportunities to appropriate stakeholders.
- Up to 40% travel required.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Position-Specific Skills Required
- Be a genuine Clif Bar & Company ambassador, who exemplifies the Clif Bar culture in all communications and interactions.
- Be flexible and available to interact and connect with people at all levels in the organization.
- Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others.
- Thrive in an autonomous environment and work well in the face of ambiguity.
- Be intimately familiar with the process and packaging capabilities at Clif Bar bakeries, a subject matter expert who others trust for information.
- Ensure alignment on strategies, tactics, and environmental health and safety processes to drive success across the Five Aspirations.
- Have the ability to start, address and prioritize project issues independently and juggle multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Be familiar with standard concepts, best practices in field, and procedures in project management.
- Serve as a resource when expert and in-depth information is required for troubleshooting and preventative work on new equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop effective relationships with peers and leaders across an organization.
- Display individual leadership skills, resolve problems/conflicts, and mentor/coach as needed.
- Take ownership for actions, behaviors and contributions while inspiring and motivating self and others.
Technical Expertise Required
- Strong MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Outlook calendar and email management, and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong understanding of manufacturing and maintenance requirements to meet personnel safety, food safety, and quality standards.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook), MS Project and Auto CAD.
- Fundamental background with Robotics, PLC's and process control.
- Knowledge of competitive industry technology available for food packaging and processing.
- Familiar with basics of finance, product cost accounting, and statistical process control.
- Knowledge of sanitary design and sustainable design & work practices.
- Working understanding of Lockout-Tagout, Confined Space, Excavations, Arc Flash, Working with live electric, Rigging, Line Breaking, JSA’s.
- Working knowledge of HACCP, GMP’s, Allergens, and quality systems in a food manufacturing environment."
- Minimum of 4 year B.S. degree in Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering or related field preferred; Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in project engineering and project management in a production facility.
- Experience in a manufacturing or food production environment a plus.
At Clif Bar Baking Company, the journey has always been more important than the destination. HOW we get things done is as important as WHAT gets done, and our Ingredients (CREATE, INSPIRE, CONNECT, OWN IT, BE YOURSELF) remind us of just that. We challenge and celebrate one another, we help to balance each other’s lives, and we value laughter and fun as an integral quality in our workplace.
We also value diversity and celebrate our people being their most authentic selves. We believe that an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace makes us more creative, innovative, effective, and resilient – a truly different kind of company! We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, experiences, and perspectives. Clif Bar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We want to help our people live the lives they want to live so we’ve created an environment where we all can grow and succeed both personally and professionally through creating a company culture that inspires and supports our people inside and outside of work.
We sustain our people with comprehensive benefits, annual incentive plans, company matching on 401k contributions, and employees are encouraged to participate in paid volunteer opportunities. Additionally, our people enjoy a paid sabbatical program, sustainability benefits including a cool commute program, and athletic competition stipends, as well as National and State Park, Pass reimbursement. In 2010, Kit & Gary implemented an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) recognizing employees’ roles in helping build our business. Come join us at Clif Bar Baking Company!
Pre-employment reference check, background check, and drug-screening are required for this position.
Clif Bar Baking Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply.
To apply on-line or for additional information, please visit our website: www.clifbar.com/who-we-are/careers
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $88,910.00 - $115,600.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Work Location: One location