The Customer Support Engineer provides ETL, data engineering, and product support to customers and internal teams in our Services department. Specifically, this team member will focus on constructing and testing custom filters and custom ETL logic for our customers, as well as investigating and correcting complex bug fixes within our ETL codebase. More broadly, this position is responsible for resolving Tier 2 support issues by troubleshooting workflows, implementing SQL code and configuration changes, and translating customers’ business logic into SQL code. The SQL Support Engineer ensures all matters reach full-circle resolution by thoroughly tracking the lifecycle of an issue and maintaining frequent and strong lines of communication with our customers. You will also help build and maintain data engineering and product documentation.
The Customer Support Engineer will work as part of the Customer Support team within the Customer Experience team at Civitas Learning. The primary functions of the Customer Support team are to maintain data freshness and accuracy in customers’ apps, maintain app usability, and implement custom code solutions post-deployment to fulfill our customers’ needs.
- Develop and debug ETL data transformations to map customer data systems into our canonical data schema using SQL
- Monitor, troubleshoot, and resolve issues with production ETL workflows
- Develop and debug data extracts and ingest behavior using AWS and Linux cloud-based tools
- Read and write complex multi-table SQL statements, optimizing for efficiency and minimizing technological risk
- Reproduce and diagnose the cause of product/data defects by investing app behavior, tracing to underlying customer-side database, and identifying cause in SQL codebase
- Provide engineering and product support via email to customers and internal teams
- Gather information and prescribe customer steps to resolution for expected vs. actual outcomes
- Gather customer requirements and business logic and translate into SQL logic for use in custom data views and filters
- Create technical documentation to serve as a knowledge base for handling recurring support and data engineering needs
- Ensure customer inquiries are responded to within established timeframes and support service levels are achieved
- Experience reading and writing complex SQL logic
- 2+ years experience in technical support or equivalent customer-facing role with a track record of increased responsibility
- Experience working from a Linux command-line
- Ability to navigate SIS, LMS, and homegrown databases for root cause problem identification and analysis
- Possess advanced customer relations skills to de-escalate situations and build customer trust
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening skills to convey complex technical issues to appropriate audiences correctly for action or education
- Demonstrated experience learning new technical skills or product quickly
- Demonstrated appetite for working on vague technical problems with minimal guidance or training
- Experience in a tightly-knit team environment
Nice to Have Skills
About Civitas Learning:
- ETL pipeline development
- AWS (S3, Redshift)
- PeopleSoft, Banner, Colleague or Degree Works databases
- Python, PHP, and/or Java
Civitas Learning helps colleges and universities harness the power of their student data to improve student success outcomes. We embed actionable intelligence in workflow tools so higher education can focus their student success strategies, deliver proactive care, inspire holistic advising, and quickly measure what’s working for whom. With our platform, software and services, our customers empower leaders, advisors, faculty, & students to measurably improve enrollment, persistence, and graduation outcomes.
Today, we work with 375 colleges and universities, serving nearly 8 million students. Together with our growing community of customers, we are making the most of the world’s learning data to help graduate a million more students per year by 2025. For more information, visit: www.civitaslearning.com.
Interested in learning more about our Culture & Mission? -- check out
#civmission [https://civitas.slack.com/archives/CMU7TNAV9] on LinkedIn
Civitas Learning is located in the heart of downtown Austin, directly across from Lady Bird Lake and the Austin Hike and Bike Trail. Civitas offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, onsite paid parking, 401-K Program and a flexible paid time off policy. Civitas Learning is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.