General Scope of Responsibility:
To assess current products vs. competitive offerings, and, to develop new products for automotive applications, primarily nonwoven materials
DUTIES & ELEMENTS
- Develop new applications for Automotive “Core Green Product” applications. a. Work in conjunction with sales and program managers on new applications for existing products. b. Develop designs and prototypes that will meet the customers needs. c. Ensure that products meet the customer’s material, performance testing and application assembly requirements. d. Retains Program records that are well organized, easy to retrieve & demonstrate compliance with
CPAC and other applicable procedures
- Develop new materials/new products under the direction of the department manager a. Guide/lead CPAC in discussions with fiber and felt manufacturers and in the definition of equipment and process to create various fiber composites b. Develop and execute plans, activities, and trials that support the advancement and development of new products within existing product lines as well as developing product lines c. Work independently to coordinate and perform required technical testing and experiments in support of assigned projects and report/share results and findings d. Be directly involved from concept through trial development to final commercialization and optimization including getting dirty on the plant floor.
- Assist the plant, program managers, and salesmen by providing engineering support on launch issues. a. Assure design inputs are understood, reviewed & incorporated into the design. b. Direct & monitor Designer’s work. c. Coordinates design reviews, with customer & internal personnel, to assure designs meet inputs. d. Hand off work to program manager after receipt of purchase order. e. Provide assistance to CPAC customers and personal to make launch and new business a success.
- Benchmark competitive materials, products, and processes. a. Obtain samples and information on competitive materials, products and processes. b. Participate in engineering reviews of competitive products. c. Reverse engineer competitive products to ensure that CPAC understands benefits and cost. d. Provide market pricing information to CPAC organization for the propose to evaluating CPAC’s market strategy. e. Determine the comparative product offerings of competitors to CPAC products. g. Provide write ups of your findings.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Work Experience, etc.):
Minimum [Must have to be considered for the position]:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent in another technical field
- Knowledge of non-wovens and polymers
- Good planning, organizational and follow-up skills.
- Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet, and statistical programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to facilitate small group interactions
- Diplomacy and tact in providing constructive input to clients
- Sense of urgency in responding to external and internal customers
- Adaptability to and value a small company environment
- Seeks continuous improvement in herself/himself
- Demonstrated sense of detail through documentation, reports, and correspondence
- Ability to travel between Company/vendor facilities. Estimated local travel anticipated to be
40/50% and overnight travel less than 10%
- Ability to operate test and manufacturing equipment
Desired [Will provide job holder with added skills(s) to perform duties]:
- Understanding of statistical methods.
- Ability to perform designed experimentation.
- Bilingual English/Spanish
The Product Development Engineer must have excellent negotiating skills and the ability to work with vendors, customers, and internal personnel to support projects successfully from product concept inception to launch.
Occasionally ascends/descends ladders or stairs on manufacturing equipment to assist with trial runs. Must be able to lift parts weighing up to 50 pounds across plant floor when assisting in tool launch process. Must be able to walk through the manufacturing plant and stand for long periods of time. Moving self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight and confined spaces.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- non-wovens: 2 years (Preferred)
- polymers: 2 years (Preferred)
- statistical program: 2 years (Preferred)
- designed experimentation: 2 years (Preferred)
- English and Spanish (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: One location