Alvi Associates is growing and we are seeking a Structural Engineer to become an integral member of our team.
Established in 1979, Alvi Associates is a multidisciplinary consulting engineering firm which provides structural, roadway, water resources, and geotechnical engineering services in the mid-Atlantic region to numerous clients and project owners, including the Maryland DOT, Virginia DOT, Delaware DOT, and various city and county agencies.
Our technical expertise and innovation have been recognized by many design awards, including major national awards, and we have participated in forensic investigations for incidents which received national and international attention, including Oroville Dam in California, Edenville Dam in Michigan, and the FIU bridge in Florida. We understand that our employees are the key to our success, and we invest in our staff with on-going technical and professional training. We offer a family-like camaraderie in a relaxed office setting.
Our office is located in Towson, Maryland, with free parking and convenient access to the City of Baltimore and many entertainment, shopping, and nature areas. We have become adept at teleworking, and we expect that we will allow some continuation of teleworking after the pandemic ends.
Structural Engineer – Job Description
We are primarily looking for Design Engineers with 0 to 3 years of experience. We have other open positions and candidates with additional experience will also be considered for the position.
You will work under the direction of a Division Director and Senior Engineers. Your projects will involve transportation structures such as bridges, culverts, and retaining walls, along with dams and other types of structures. You will gain diverse experience involving design of structures of varying complexity in accordance with AASHTO and local jurisdiction specifications; performing load rating analyses; performing in-service bridge safety inspections; preparing cost estimates and specifications; and other related plan and document preparation and review. Certification in NHI comprehensive bridge inspection training is a plus.
Through a process of mentorship and training, you will take increasing responsibility on projects of increasing size and complexity.
At Alvi Associates, we offer a generous benefits package, an enjoyable work environment, and salaries which are at the top of the range compared to other engineering firms in the area – because our engineers are the best! In addition, each full-time Alvi employee receives the following benefits:
- Flexible hours
- Work from home
- Mobile Phone Allowance
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) retirement plan with company profit-sharing contribution
- Company-paid short-term and long-term disability plans
- Company-paid life insurance and AD&D coverage
- In-house technical and professional training
- Kitchens well stocked with a variety of complimentary snacks and beverages for everyone to enjoy
To learn more about our company, please visit us at www.alviassociates.com.
- 0 to 3+ years of structural engineering experience
- BS degree or higher in Civil Engineering from an ABET-accredited university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- High standards for quality and meticulous attention to detail
- Strong foundation in structural theory
- Adeptness with engineering software
- Ability to work well in teams on multiple simultaneous projects
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Structural engineering experience in Maryland and/or Virginia
- Experience in design, analysis, and inspection of bridges, culverts, and retaining walls
- Experience in design, analysis, or inspection of dams is a plus
- P.E. license in MD or VA is highly preferred for applicants with 4+ years of experience
- Certification in NHI comprehensive bridge inspection training
- Experience with Microstation is a plus
Please email your resume and college transcripts to the following address (strong candidates who previously applied are welcome to re-apply):
In your email, please respond to each of the following items in a separate bullet point:
- Degrees, and GPA for each degree
- Years of engineering experience
- Summary of relevant experience
- Whether you have experience in Maryland or Virginia
- Current employment status
- State you are currently located in
Alvi Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled are encouraged to apply. We have a diverse staff.'
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $1.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Structural Engineering: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location