Level: Advanced engineering applications and scientific leadership
Location: Champaign, Illinois
US Citizenship or Permanent Residency Required for this Position: Restricted to US Citizens or Permanent Residents
Relocation Available: Possible
Virtual Location: No (Remote work is NOT possible)
The primary responsibilities for this position are applied research and development of computational modeling and simulation solutions in novel and alternative energy applications. This includes project technical leadership, interaction with clients, and mentoring less-senior engineering staff. In this permanent, full-time position, you’ll be working alongside a great team of computationally-savvy engineers and scientists. You will be directly involved in multiple projects; you won’t be bored as there’s always something new to work on. Everyone on the team works the entire process: planning, software development, testing, documentation, and deployment. You’ll be working on the big picture. Longer-term, this role extends to research and commercial market development. The successful candidate will have wide latitude in selecting and pursuing RD&E projects in computational science and engineering that target Department of Energy, Department of Defense, and commercial applications.
Subject Matter Expertise
The successful candidate will step into the leadership of a US Department of Energy (DOE)-sponsored applied computational research program in modern nuclear reactor engineering/alternative energy and will collaborate with DOE, university and small business partners. RD&E topics include advanced reactors modeling (pebble bed reactors, microreactors, and others), and relevant engineering/energy application of machine learning and AI. Subject matter expertise in other physics areas such as solid mechanics, materials science, or chemistry is required. Prior experience using the lattice Boltzmann method to perform simulations (any type) is a major plus.
- An M.S with 10+ or Ph.D. with 5+ years experience is required; degree in engineering, physics, math, chemistry or a related discipline.
- Writing CFD-related simulation codes on commercial-level projects.
- Software development experience with C++.
- Comfortable working in a Linux development environment with experience compiling and linking complex software projects from a command-line environment.
- Possess excellent communication/writing/presentation skills.
- Willing to live in/relocate to Champaign, Illinois.
- This role is restricted to U.S. persons (i.e., U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and other protected individuals under the Immigration and Naturalization Act) due to access to export-controlled technology. Illinois Rocstar will require proof of status prior to employment.
- Experience in alternative energy areas such as geothermal, wind power, solar, etc.
- Application of machine learning, AI, and/or proper orthogonal decomposition (POD) in novel environments.
- Proposal development and leadership/project management experience.
- Experience in an agile software development environment.
- Knowledge of configuration management using SVN, GitHub, GitLab; build system management using CMake.
Benefits and Lifestyle
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including 401(k) with company matching, vacation, holidays, medical and dental insurance, life and long-term disability insurance, and performance bonuses. Illinois Rocstar is located adjacent to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the UI Research Park (http://www.researchpark.illinois.edu). The area is home to a wide variety of high-tech startups and multiple Fortune 500 research organizations. The tech environment is amazing; Champaign is one of the best small cities that you’ll ever find to live in, and a short drive to Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis.
About Illinois Rocstar
Illinois Rocstar focuses on scientific software development and provision of engineering services. We are an established, small company with an ambitious and dynamic staff. The breadth of current projects includes land/air/sea/space M&S applications, advanced mesh generation and simulation methodologies, nuclear power plant simulation, and many more. The company also provides cloud computing solutions to our industrial, science, and defense customers.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $120,000.00 - $175,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Champaign, IL 61820 (Required)
- Are you a US Citizen or US Permanent Resident?
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible