For Earth For Life
BASIC PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION
The Application Engineer will participate in all R&D activities associated with the North American R&D hub within the Kverneland Group Harvesting Systems Division bridging sales (KTC/KCL), Product Management, Technical Service and R&D. These activities comprise the market adaptations, localization projects, variant design, new product development focused on North American market, field-testing on all products, local production support, local sourcing/SCM support, Product and Service support as well as all generating associated required product documentation. The Application Engineer will report to the Assistant Director of Engineering at KTC from a legal point of view, and will report to Harvesting Engineering Lead in Salina, Kansas as it pertains to project performance and operational management.
This position does the following in accordance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws / regulations and the Company’s policies, procedures and guidelines:
1. As the Harvesting Application Specialist, will bridge the R&D functional area with Marketing, Product Management and Service.
2. Team with R&D and PM to build specifications/LOR (List of Requirements) for all projects related to North America (adaptations, local variants, New Product Development projects also with Harvesting Systems Division R&D representing the North American region).
3. Support Project Management in product configuration definition and price list structure/elements.
4. Contribute conceptual ideas and design direction into the projects with NPD (New Product Development) team and R&D management both regionally and on division-level.
5. Perform concept and functional model work; coordination with New Product Development team, building concept models, testing and validating functional elements and building functional model.
6. Prototyping; coordination with R&D and prototype workshop on design, building and finishing for test.
7. Teaming with Project Management for responsibility of the validation of functional test.
8. Support structural testing with R&D team.
9. Support lifetime/fatigue testing with R&D team.
10. Responsible for the in-field test and evaluation of performance.
11. Responsible for the follow-up, reporting from test and facilitate/execute modifications.
12. In cooperation with R&D New Product Development team, PM and R&D management , responsible for final design evaluation of regional variants.
13. Provide support to the product needs, system release and cross-functional support for initial product release and for product maintenance.
14. Conduct and document match testing, as coordinated with the Lead Design Team.
15. Give input to the release documentation for technical specifications, CAD drawings, whole good and part numbers, assembly instructions, fit-up testing, Test reports, Cost and Product compatibility charts. Assist the cross-functional team in competitor evaluations and “How-to-Sell –Kubota” videos and marketing information.
16. Work with the NPD and Service Teams to define root-cause, development of containment and corrective actions and implementation.
17. Coordinate with KTC Compliance to be sure that standards and regulations are considered during design, manufacturing, sales and end-of-life processes.
18. Support or lead as necessary the testing instrumentation, mechanic activities, machine set-up and assembly for testing.
19. This position is exemplar in sharing what is known, as well as eager to learn more from others as they participate in surveys, testing, and documentation and any other daily functions.
20. This role will interact with other departments (Sales, Service, Purchasing, Quality, Production, etc. in KTC, GP and Harvesting Systems Division).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND TRAINING:
Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical or Agricultural Engineering required. Master’s degree in a related field a plus.
SKILLS AND BACKGROUND:
- 2-5 years’ experience with product development in an engineering field required. Experience developing Harvesting and Forage products required.
- 4-8 years of prior experience in an agricultural setting is required.
- Project Management certification preferred
- Microsoft Office Software skills (Word, Excel, and Power Point) and ERP/SAP preferred.
- Experience in the specification, prototype build, and test of agricultural equipment.
- Experience with the application of electronics on modern farm machinery and control modules.
- Experience with market structure, product structure and specification building.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills within a cross-functional team, as well as sales minded and open minded personal qualities.
- Experience in design review feedback through 3D CAD model evaluations and mark-ups.
- Experience in evaluating and summarizing test data for vibration, FEA (Finite Element Analysis), thermal and acceleration applications.
- Skilled at using engineering testing and data acquisition equipment.
- Skilled at using engineering computing and measurement equipment to define performance characteristics.
- Skilled at translating the engineering details into words and communicating those findings clearly to others (able to explain the story).
- Strong diagnostic and problem solving skills.
- Works effectively in a team environment.
Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
EQUIPMENT OPERATION (% of time, description, nature of service):
- 20% Agricultural, construction, and other Kubota equipment including tractors, backhoes and utility vehicles and attachments.
- 40% Computer, copier, fax, phone, printer
- 40% Travel to support projects and customer surveys.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. The position will require walking, standing and sitting in field, shop, office and computer environments.
Exposure to damp/wet conditions, chemicals, fumes, moving mechanical parts, electrical shock, and excessive noise level at times. Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) is provided and must be used.
The information provided in the description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within the classification. This description is not intended to be a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job/classification. This job is intended to include the current essential functions of the job. Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities and to designate other functions as essential at any time.
Kubota is an equal opportunity at will employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.