THE GENERAL MANAGER OPPORTUNITY at Freedom Boat Club of New York
Freedom Boat Club of New York (FBCNY) operates one of the largest franchise operations within the Freedom Boat Club franchise system. The Club is seeking a General Manager (GM) who is an effective hands on leader, business executive, and someone with impeccable credentials. The successful candidate should be widely respected and regarded for the way in which he/she conducts business, as well as for the results achieved thus far in his/her career. Especially critical is to be a keen developer/mentor of staff, and ensure that necessary and appropriate accountabilities are in place for all levels of employees within the FBCNY organization.
Freedom Boat Club of New York
Since beginning operations in 2012, Freedom Boat Club of New York has grown from 3 locations and 14 boats to its current size of 6 Long Island locations with 70+ boats. Significant opportunity exists to continue growth of the current locations as well as to explore further expansion.
The Club is solid financially, and recently is looking to continue focus on expanding boating access to Long Islanders by providing a cost- and time-effective boating solution for members and helping them to enjoy their boating experience.
GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
The General Manager (GM) is hired and retained by the Board of Directors and reports to the CEO. The GM has clear “ownership” for day-to-day operations of FBCNY, while focused on the achievement and maintenance of an annual business plan for the Club, and all the necessary elements, activities and staff to support this focus. Specific emphasis on consistently enhancing an extraordinary experience for the members and their guests is primary to this role. He/She is responsible for managing the entire inventory of key assets (physical and staff) to ensure consistently meeting clearly defined expectations of service execution and delivery.
The GM will provide leadership to contributing constituencies (Board, Committees, Members, and Staff) relative to key programming, events and activities at the Club, recognizing the need to lead in balancing multiple interests, perspectives, and the Club’s business and financial objectives. Successful administration of all operations of FBCNY, while meeting annual tactical and strategic goals and expectations, is critical, as is keeping a clear appreciation of maintaining high member satisfaction levels in the course of doing so. The GM will be leading all aspects of the organization and should have the “visionary leadership” to make necessary and sometimes bold decisions in the best interests of the Club.
- Coordinate and implement Board policies
- Assure a high level of member satisfaction, including soliciting member feedback and improving the sense of “inclusiveness” for all members
- Provide ongoing evaluation of the boat fleet and physical assets, anticipate needs, and oversee initiatives
- Develop and monitor FBCNY protocols to assure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and with franchise rules.
- Manage all FBCNY staff in a professional manner, including continuous performance feedback that reflects achievement against individual performance goals. Provide guidance and support to staff to help them perform at an optimum level.
- Improve Club operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Manage to the annual budget. Review income and cost relative to goals and recommend corrective action. Implement controls to safeguard funds.
- Be a source of continuity and professionalism in Club operations across changes in seasonal staffing
- Interface with franchise operators and be informed of, and lead, best practices
- Maintain excellent relationships with the marina owners/operators
- Establish an effective supply chain to ensure maximum uptime on boats in the fleet
- Manage maintenance and repairs on all boats – ensuring boats get required maintenance and are repaired expeditiously and with high quality
- A minimum of 5 - 7 years of progressive leadership/management experience in (preferably) a private member-owned yacht club, or leading hospitality operations outside of the club industry in a similar hospitality operation.
- Strong personal qualities of integrity, confidence, credibility, energy, commitment, and humor along with exemplary ethics.
- Possess financial and budgeting acumen.
- Knowledge of marine operations, to include small boat operations and maintenance.
- Technologically proficient and recognizing best practices use of technology to improve ‘high touch’ service delivery to members, as well as to more effectively manage and lead operations.
- Someone who looks to consistent improvement of member experiences and operational efficiency.
- A true, confident, diplomatic, and competent club industry professional with exceptional “executive presence,” who recognizes the importance of accountability
- Outstanding communication skills are necessary for this role and to be successful at FBCNY. As the primary communicator of much of the information at the Club, proven outstanding verbal and written skills are absolutely critical, as is a keen ability to “listen,” “engage,” “build trust” and “be highly approachable.” One must have strong “executive presence” and truly understand the unique and compelling culture of the club.
- Must be a visionary and mission oriented; anticipating how the Club continues to evolve is important, as is being actively ‘networked’ in the industry to the point of being on the forefront of trends in clubs. He/She should be able to project and steer the club in the right directions for the benefit of the membership.
- A “hands on” leader who recognizes the balance between leading, doing and delegating.
- A visible, sincerely engaged and hard-working leader that brings ideas to the table and can express those ideas thoughtfully and easily to team members, the Board and Committees.
- Being strategic in focus and able to gain support and execute approved plans and directions, sometimes exhorting the Board to make actionable decisions, albeit it with a strong and natural ability to analyze and communicate the reasons behind recommendations.
- Being naturally outgoing, conversant, respectful, and diplomatic, but able to diplomatically say “no” when appropriate.
- Recognizing the need for the continuation of an “employer of choice” approach to attracting, retaining, and developing staff at every level within the greater FBCNY organization.
- Innately understanding, empathetic, reliable, and relatable to members and staff at all levels.
- Possessive of a strong financial acumen for hospitality trends and metrics, and able to fully comprehend and explain P/Ls, balance sheets, cash flow and operating budgets.
- The ability to adapt and positively contribute to changing and evolving circumstances.
- A true “partner” with the Board, recognizing that he/she needs to be a creative problem solver whose ability to convey ideas, suggestions, and solutions in a thoughtful, well-reasoned manner with a high level of integrity results in high levels of respect.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year university or college is highly desirable
- In lieu of the degree, substantial private club experience combined with extensive knowledge of marine operations may be considered.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is open and commensurate with qualifications and experience and competitive with similar responsibility in the marine industry. The club offers a benefits package and offers a bonus package including profit sharing that rewards great performance.
About Freedom Boat Club
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year
- Employee Discount
- Flexible Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- management: 8 years (Required)
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Setting and meeting goals for service, operations, and financial results
- Maintaining excellent customer service standards
- Maintaining property and equipment
- Inspecting and adhering to safety and sanitation guidelines
- Performing front-line customer service
Company's Facebook page: