Ash Grove Cement, a CRH company, provides portland and masonry cements to help build the foundation and infrastructure for the world around us. We ship millions of tons of cement from our plants and network of terminals located across North America. When you work for Ash Grove, you are connecting to something bigger. Join our team and help Ash Grove build America.
The Senior Corporate Mining Engineer for Ash Grove Cement is responsible for supporting all cement plant regions within North America in clearly defining strategies to improve Life of Mining (LOM) and extend quarry reserves.
This is a mid-level corporate Ash Grove Cement position requiring leadership, technical expertise, influence, and a passion to further develop and extend our quarry reserves while looking for opportunities for strategic land acquisitions. This position requires the ability to be able to discuss and influence different people and depts including, but not limited to, various Vice Presidents (regional manufacturing and corporate), Plant Managers, Quarry personnel, and Corporate Process/Quality/Environmental/Procurement personnel. Success in this position can have a significant influence on managing chemical ore reserves as valuable assets where waste must be minimized, increasing mobile equipment efficiency, reducing electricity, and increasing production within Ash Grove Cement.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- The individual will work in a group environment to develop and maintain short, intermediate, and long-term LOM plans to achieve maximum value through the optimum utilization of chemical ore reserves
- Works with Plant Management to prepare and implement a robust and effective compliance system, designed to ensure that laws and regulations are adhered to and that any non-compliant activity is detected
- Liaise and negotiate on mineral-related matters with other Government department statutory bodies, academic institutions, the industry, aid donors and represent the company on committees, boards, industry bodies, and other relevant organizations as required
- Work with Manufacturing Vice Presidents, Plant Managers, and Quarry personnel to develop key performance indicators as it relates to optimizing quarry reserves, minimizing waste streams and lowering mining costs
- Maintain 3D Geologic Models of quarries using planning software in addition to providing technical training on the use of the software
- Coordinate and assist with engineering and periodic reviews of LOM plan to include block models, schedules and annual volumes by bench, site limitations and conditions, operational effectiveness, chemical ore quality, and other relevant factors
- Generate necessary plans and technical illustrations to effectively communicate LOM and stripping plans, remediation efforts, and schedules for implementation in accordance with company standards.
- Develop 5-year block model maps with appropriate volumes by bench with accurate maps and technical illustrations as needed to facilitate land-related issues, including agreements, zoning, and permitting.
- Develop a detailed corporate-wide site auditing plan to ensure stripping needs are clearly communicated, monitor mining and geology processes, drilling campaigns, and use of explosives that help to identify, quantify and implement opportunities for continuous improvement
- Develop evaluation methods for mobile equipment utilization in addition to working with sites and various vendors to select new equipment
- Conduct regular geotechnical surveys to identify, mitigate and resolve hazards through building effective working relationships with operations management
- Develop, expand and capture key, high-growth/high-value mining opportunities
- Coordinate mining market expansion by building effective working relationships with local geologists, mining engineers, and non-competitive mining companies to research information about potential land acquisitions to Ash Grove Cement internal stakeholders
- Assist with technical evaluation and assessment including, but not limited to, geologic modeling, drilling and exploration, reserves assessment, and mine planning
Proficient in English written and verbal communication skills
Strong verbal communication and listening skills
Demonstrated written communication skills
Demonstrated problem solving skills
Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills
Proactively approaches responsibilities
Possesses a high degree of initiative
Instills commitment to organizational goals
Ability to inspire and develop staff
Ability to lead/manage others
Ability to build strong customer relationships
Effective interpersonal skills
Excellent collaboration and team building skills
Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
Extensive working knowledge in assessing LOM chemical ore reserves, pit designs, development of 5-year block models for quarry mining to include effective water drainage control and overburden removal.
Knowledge of industrial geology as related to the cement or related industry.
Surveying knowledge and/or experience with GPS station gear.
More than 10 years of experience in in the mining industry, with a focus on cement related processes or similar industry, which has reached a consistently high level of continuous improvement initiatives regarding the management of quarry reserves and mobile equipment.
- Mining Engineer, Geologist, and/or Quarry Manager, both Plant and Corporate.
- Quarry management and optimization with a focus on stripping, drilling campaigns, and mobile equipment selection and utilization.
- Block model development with a clear understanding of both process and financial implications in the mining industry.
Bachelor's Degree in Mining Engineering or Geology.
Master's Degree (Preferred)
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Once you click apply now, you will be brought to our career site. Please complete your online profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Our system allows you to view and track your status 24 hours a day. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
Ash Grove Cement is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability-If you want to know more, please click on this link.