Senior Design Engineer
To save time applying, Featherlite does not offer sponsorship of job applicants for employment-based visas for this position at this time.
Featherlite Trailers - This position is located in Cresco, IA and is not remote.
Featherlite has been an industry leader offering leading top-quality aluminum trailers for livestock, utility, and commercial applications for more than 40 years. From living quarters trailers to our popular bumper-pull and gooseneck models, we build standard, custom trailers, and specialty trailers to fit everyone's needs. Our talented workforce has produced specialty trailers for the U.S. Navy, IBM, NASCAR, Indy Car Series, and many more.
We are a dynamic company who cares about our family of employees and offers an engaging work environment where we value work ethic and team chemistry. Visit our website at www.fthr.com.
This new Senior Design Engineer role will have supervisory oversight of the Design Drafting team. This role will utilize AutoCAD 2D, Inventor 3D, and other software programs to support customers, Sales, Production, and Engineering staff by preparing custom and standard layouts, sketches & diagrams, assembly drawings, and detail drawings to include all views and dimensions necessary for manufacturing. Maintains information regarding changes to standard and custom BOM database. Research and work with purchasing personnel to source specialty items.
Senior Design Engineer Essential Functions
- Use AutoCAD and Inventor software to develop designs.
- Create and detail 2D & 3D drawings for fabrication and assembly with assurance of proper fit and function of custom trailer designs.
- Utilize and apply engineering disciplines (statics, strength of materials, dynamics, & stress analysis) and best practices to solve design problems.
- Make final drawing of proposed design, checking dimension of parts, materials to be used, relation of one part to another, and relation of various parts to whole structure or project.
- Produce and document all drawings required to complete a full trailer build according to sales order or specification.
- Lead design review meetings with both structure and interior production team leaders.
- Communicate with salesperson or vendors about design possibilities.
- Receive written trailer specifications and verify to sales drawings using AutoCAD 2D. Distribute updated information to production staff.
- Assure customer satisfaction in ways that are consistent with the position: safe, complete, accurate, on time.
- Work with salesperson or vendors to finalize the designs and working drawings.
- Assist with Engineering Change documentation as it relates to revisions made to standard drawings.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Completes special projects and assignments in a positive and timely manner.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Ability to troubleshoot trailer production difficulties with production personnel.
- High skill level in AutoCAD and Inventor software.
- Skilled in PC usage and associated software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Ability to learn new graphic software to complement the presentation of new designs.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering degree required.
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience with a proven record of successfully creating 3D models with Inventor.
- Minimum 3-years of experience with AutoCAD 2D.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver complex product design performance through project management and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability as an effective leader, with the demonstrated ability to foster cross-functional influence and collaboration.
- Lean ideology, manifesting as a strong drive for continuous improvement.
- Must have an open mind to delve into an array of multiple disciplines, i.e. HVAC, plumbing, electro-mechanical, carpentry, electrical, corrosion, etc.
Rewards: Featherlite offers a complete package of total rewards that goes beyond a competitive salary:
- Health Insurance (3 plan options), Dental and Vision
- Health Savings Account with Employer Contribution
- Medical Flex Spending Account
- Employer Paid Base Life Plan with option to purchase more
- Employer Paid Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Vacation & Personal Time
- 8 Paid Holidays
- 401(k) Plan
- Bereavement Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Fitness Program
Featherlite is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the individual's race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a military veteran or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- This position requires a Mechanical Engineering degree. Do you hold this degree?
- This position is located in Cresco, IA. Are you willing to relocate to Cresco, IA if selected for this position or live within a commutable distance.
- 3D models with Inventor: 5 years (Preferred)
- AutoCAD: 2 years (Preferred)