Position Title: Annis Water Resources Institute (AWRI) Fleet Captain
Summary: The AWRI fleet captain oversees the effective, safe, and efficient maintenance and operation of all vessels and vehicles operated by AWRI. Fleet captain also coordinates the efforts of AWRI captains, deckhands, engineers, and electricians to ensure that all vessel activities are conducted in a safe and cost-effective manner.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Appropriate training and experience and a record of success in vessel operations, vessel maintenance, purchasing, budgeting, scheduling and personnel supervision.
- High School graduate or GED
- Must possess a valid USCG 100 Ton Masters License and have small vessel
(< 100 tons) operating experience.
- Must possess the ability to successfully work with the crew, the general public, students of all ages, University, K-12, and vessel instructors and researchers.
- Must be able to work in all types of inclement weather.
- Must be able to crouch and stoop to get into areas with restricted headroom, to climb ladders and to lift and carry 50-75 lbs.
- May involve exposure to odors, dust, dirt, mechanical hazards, high noise levels and potentially hazardous equipment.
- May involve travel to multiple locations and extended stays out of home location, long hours and weekend duties.
- Required to participate in Random Drug Testing Program and complete
CPR/First Aid certification, employer provided.
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Efficient in diesel maintenance, fluid systems and electrical troubleshooting and repair.
- Welding experience
- Maritime Military Experience
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Oversee the effective, safe and efficient maintenance and operation of all vessels and vehicles operated by AWRI.
- Coordinate the efforts of AWRI Captains, Deckhands, Engineers, and
Electricians to ensure that all vessel activities are conducted in a safe and cost- effective manner
- Supervise spring commissioning and fall layup of AWRI vessels, facilities and marine equipment
- Act as a liaison between AWRI, the USCG, USACOE, City of Grand Haven and other Federal and State agencies on vessel matters
- Act as liaison between AWRI, the USCG and GVSU Public Safety on Safety and
- Operate AWRI vessels as required
- Draft an annual vessel maintenance schedule and ensure that all required maintenance is properly completed
- Draft an annual training program and supervise training for all vessel personnel and students and summer interns
- Schedule annual vessel dockside maintenance period and ensure worklist is completed in a safe and efficient manner
- Conduct periodic safety and maintenance inspections on all vessels
- Obtain quotes and place requisitions for supplies, services and repairs
- Review and oversee work of vessel crew and contractors
- Ensure that all vessels have adequate stores and that all maintenance sullies are on hand in a timely fashion to complete the required maintenance
- Draft and maintain the duty schedules for Captains, Deckhands and Engineers
- Maintain all vessel logs and other operating records as required by the USCG
- Assist in periodic assessments of vessel Captains, Deckhands, Engineers, and
Responsibilities – Non-Essential Functions:
- Assist AWRI Director with assignments as required
- Member AWRI Safety and Equipment committees
- Maintain all AWRI First Aid Kits and AED’s
Salary: Commensurate with experience or include range (please note that if range is listed, we can only offer in that particular salary range)
Campus: Muskegon/Lake Michigan Center
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e- mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human
Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
Allendale, Michigan 49401 - (616) 331-5000
For more information about Grand Valley, see our website at www.gvsu.edu
Grand Valley State University is an EOE which includes protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. See http://www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-
7833 (out of State)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $60,000.00 per year
Masks are required in the building.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- USCG 100 Ton Masters License (Required)
Work Location: One location