The Specials Design Engineer role will be responsible for designing, calculating and documenting special product solutions to complement the Hilti BU Installation product range as needed in selected projects. This can include custom designed products or selecting “catalogue” items from different vendors. Furthermore the role is responsible to procure these products from different suppliers and align the needed product features with the capabilities of the supply network.
Who is Hilti?
If you’re new to the industry, you might not have heard of us. We provide leading-edge tools, technologies, software and services for the global construction sector. We have a proud heritage, built over 75 years, and a worldwide reputation for pioneering products and exceptional service. With some 29,000 people in more than 120 countries, which we’re looking to expand, we’re a great place for you to show us your worth, step up to new challenges and grow your career.
What does the role involve?
- Communicates with Hilti sales force (project manager, field engineers, International Business Developer, …), Bid & Proposal Manager, Product Management, Business Unit (BU) Development & Supply team in headquarters to understand & evaluate need for special product solution
- Derives technical specification and cost of goods sold (COGS) target from interaction with salesforce
and other Hilti personnel
- Aligns technical specification and COGS target with capabilities of suppliers
- Develops, calculates & designs special products in order to complement BU Installation product range
- Selects “catalogue” products from different vendors to fulfill customer requirements based on Project Management Office (PMO) selected projects
- Applies design to cost / needs practices when developing specials
- Creates handling instructions for special products designed
- Creates specific assembly instructions for Hilti fastening products for the use of subcontractors performing preassembly
- Writes test specifications for developed special products and contracts out testing internal or external
- Releases product specials based on Hilti process landscape
- Responsible for the complete detail engineering, performance to specification of designed product
- Sets up and maintains product documentation in Hilti’s enterprise resource management software
- Negotiates boundary conditions such as timing, cost and technical performance with Hilti suppliers
- Executes process audits at suppliers based on Hilti process landscape
- Interacts with global headquarters to ensure up to date know how on product development and supply engineering
- Collaborates and coordinates internal and external partners such as universities, third party laboratories and consulting engineers
- Is involved in search for new supplier for the product portfolio of BU Installation products
- Other duties as needed or assigned
Last year alone, we introduced 40 new products, services and softwaresolutions to the global construction market.
What do we offer?
We’ll give you everything you need to excel in your role, including ongoing training and lots of responsibility from the start. In return for your exceptional performance and consistent results, you’ll receive one-to-one career mentoring, as well as exciting opportunities domestically and internationally.
Why should you apply?
We have an excellent mix of people and some of our best account managers joined us with little or no construction experience. Success at Hilti is down to teamwork and ability, no matter what your background.
What you need is:
- Must have proven communication skills, that can be utilized for both field teams and internal functions (local & global), as well as customer interaction (via phone, email and occasionally face-to-face) and supplier interaction.
- Strong analytical, conceptual and implementation skills
- Knowledge of product development processes as well as familiarity with some key manufacturing technologies such as metal rollforming and stamping - bending
- Strong organizational skills: Must be able to organize multiple projects
- Ability to work in interdisciplinary and intercultural project teams
- Good computer skills:
o Windows based MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, and MS Power Point.
o Proven experience in handling of 3D CAD system (UNIGRAPHICS preferred)
- B.S. in Engineering (Mechanical preferred).
- 5 years minimum experience in engineering, product development or related technical field with 2-3 years minimum experience as product developer or supply engineer related to mechanical product development.
- Travel will be 15% or less within this role. Role will be located in Plano, TX
Preferably, internal candidates will have been in current role for at least 18-24 months
Hilti, Inc is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.