Weir Marine Engineering (WME) is expanding its range of core services to the Canadian Navy by standing up a team of professionals focused on Modelling and Simulation (M&S) related activities. These permanent positions are to be staffed at the Naval Engineering Test Establishment (NETE) based in LaSalle, Quebec.
NETE is a Department of National Defence (DND) facility that Weir has managed and operated on behalf of the Government of Canada since 1953. Over 370 personnel are currently employed by Weir for NETE activities supporting the Canadian Navy and Department of National Defence in a wide variety of technical areas.
The M&S Team made of the engineers and computer programmer is part of the Combat and Control Systems section. It is responsible to provide engineering M&S services in a virtualized environment using a state-of-the-art High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster.
Including but not limited to:
- Use of modelling software tools, such as Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics to perform testing and analysis of ship systems;
- Support to one or several of the following M&S fields: antenna beam propagation; acoustic, magnetic, infrared and radar signatures; heat transfer; hydrodynamics; and structural integrity.
- Communication of analysis results to the client;
- Creation of visualization and analysis support tools as needed; and
- Work in cooperation with others to design, develop and deploy quality solutions meeting client objectives.
- Experience working with physical modelling and high-end simulation software tools;
- Programming and/or scripting in languages such as C++, JAVA and MATLAB;
- Ability to follow rigorous coding standards, including testing and configuration control;
- Experience with large size databases;
- Operational knowledge of military shipboard systems is highly desirable.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-experts both verbally and in writing;
- An understanding of Engineering Operations Analysis and/or Monte Carlo simulation;
- BASc Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum of three (3) years related professional or post-graduate experience.
Bilingual (English/French) with proficient in technical writing in English and ability to communicate effectively at all levels with peers, supervisors and clients.
Familiarity with both Microsoft Windows and Linux systems is preferred.
Familiarity with the following technology is also an asset:
- SolidWorks CAD, ANSYS CFD/FEA/HFSS;
- Mathworks MATLAB/Simulink;
- Microsoft Visual Studio;
- Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) products.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations, Special Skills:
Must be eligible to obtain a Government of Canada security clearance, which requires Canadian citizenship with 10 years of residence in Canada (MANDATORY).
A combination of office and shop environments. Occasionally required to travel to attend conferences and meetings.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Canadian Work: 10 years (Required)
- related professional or post-graduate: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Canadian Citizenship (Required)