DEPARTMENT: Programs and Policy
POSITION: Senior Associate
PLACE OF WORK: 2525 Ocean Park Boulevard, Suite #200
Santa Monica, CA 90405
REPORTS TO: Vice President
What HR Made Me Post:
Gladstein, Neandross & Associates (GNA) is seeking a Senior Associate to join its Programs Department. Successful applicants will possess exceptional writing, research, communication, organizational, analytical, customer service, project management, and follow-up skills. Candidates must have a “can-do” attitude, willingness to work hard in order to get the job done in a deadline-driven environment, and a passion for delivering excellence. Must be a self-starter, with the ability to anticipate, respond to, and fulfill supervisor, teammate, and client needs. Candidates must possess a strong work ethic and the ability to adapt and remain calm when facing unforeseen challenges. Interdisciplinary, entrepreneurial thinkers with the ability to communicate complex ideas on paper to diverse audiences and a passion for knowledge and learning will absolutely thrive in our office and with our clients.
What Your Future Boss Wants You to Know:
I need a creative project manager interested in business development in the alternative fuels and clean energy sector. If you have any recommendations for more jargon and buzzwords to add to that sentence, please apply for this position and let me know your thoughts.
This is a “write your own adventure” as this position’s workload will include projects from 5-15 different clients, ranging from grant writing to government relations and emissions analyses to event planning. Your ability to creatively tackle those projects, continually looking for better solutions to existing and future challenges, will define your path to success at GNA. The ideal candidate must have the gumption to “manage up”, reach across project teams for support, and ultimately captain their own ship. I need a candidate who possesses the capabilities to deliver high-quality intelligence that meet client needs, but also the awareness to recognize the need to push back and advocate for alternative approaches to problems.
This position is a unique opportunity at GNA as you will be immediately expected to take on client and project management responsibilities while also supporting business development. The expected client load consists of Fortune 100 vehicle manufacturers, both established and start-up technology developers, and non-profit organizations. There is no normal “day-to-day” operation – our team’s ability to efficiently and fluidly shift gears from project to project is what makes us valuable to our clients but also what makes us proud of our work.
Other Stuff Our Team Would Like You to Know:
Additional job duties could include:
- Project management: Provide efficient and cost-effective results on both client and company projects. Must be capable of independently setting, tracking, and reporting on progress related for multiple project and billable hour goals. Must regularly report on progress, challenges, and approach to team leaders and management.
- Client Relations: Professionally interact with industry contacts and clients on a regular basis, understand their business needs, provide consistent and well-prepared status reports on deliverables, manage and address unexpected developments, and communicate research and recommendations in a confidence-inspiring manner.
- Research: Conduct primary and secondary research on a broad spectrum of market, technical, and policy issues and assist in the development and production of high-quality reports which provide this research to either specific or broad audiences. Be able to translate detailed and/or nuanced technical information into readily understandable and actionable information for you target audience.
- Communications: Prepare regular memos on project status for clients and for staff. Create publication-quality and client-ready written reports, marketing materials, correspondence, grant applications, presentations, and other communications that clearly and concisely summarize project goals, accomplishments and recommendations in the most compelling manner for the appropriate audience.
- Outreach and Organization: Develop and implement strategies to communicate the objective of projects to diverse audiences, including business, government, non-profit organizations and community groups. Conduct surveying, data gathering, and informational awareness campaigns via telephone, internet, in person, and other outreach strategies. Interface directly with a variety of contacts in to gather information for various projects.
- Presentations: Prepare and deliver written and oral presentations which effectively distill and communicate GNA’s and/or our client’s project efforts, goals, and recommendations.
- Business Development: Lead and assist in the identification and new project and revenue opportunities with existing and potential clients.
- Firm Promotion: Actively contribute to the firm’s development and growth by participating in internal initiatives such as administration, human resources, marketing, infrastructure development, and team development.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
Education: A BA or BS and a strong potential for professional success is required. MA, MPA, or MPP preferred.
- Professional Experience: 2-5 years of experience in deadline-driven environments is required. Experience working with alternative fuels, advanced transportation technology, renewable energy, air quality, or energy policy is a plus.
- Skills: Exceptional writing, research, analytical, communication, public speaking and presentation, organization, facilitation, and interpersonal skills. In addition to a strong technical/analytical background and top-notch communications skills, an excellent grasp of business strategy, marketing methods, organizational and leadership issues is also necessary. Must be able to learn from constructive criticism and adapt to rapidly-changing project needs and priorities.
- Expertise: Technical and analytical expertise in the environmental and/or energy domain, combined with some communications, or public relations experience a plus.
- Language: Fluency in English is required and Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to Travel: Travel may be required.
Compensation and Benefits:
The position will offer a competitive and attractive compensation package that includes a base salary with the opportunity for a bonus based on performance and results produced.
Full benefits package including medical, dental, disability and insurance. We also offer 401k Plans.
Qualified candidates should e-mail a cover letter, resume, two (2) relevant writing samples and minimum salary requirements, to the email address listed above, next to our company name. Be sure to include “SENIOR ASSOCIATE POSITION” in the subject line of your email.
If possible, one of the writing samples should be industry-relevant. Further, the sample should be pertinent to a situation where you were required to analyze a technical situation and had to communicate it to a wider audience. Such examples include an analysis of a new environmental policy for a group of stakeholders, or a review of new legislation and the identification of potential impacts.
There is no relocation assistance for this position therefore, only local candidates who already reside in the Los Angeles Area will be contacted. You may also send your application packet by U.S. Mail or submit it in person at our Santa Monica, CA offices at 2525 Ocean Park Blvd, Suite 200, Santa Monica, CA 90405.
About Gladstein, Neandross & Associates
Founded in 1993 and headquartered in Santa Monica, California and New York, New York, Gladstein, Neandross & Associates (GNA) helps many of the nation’s leading businesses and government agencies develop and implement policies and technologies that reduce pollution and the use of conventional petroleum products.
GNA works with clients - including corporations, utilities, public agencies and non-governmental organizations - to encourage private and public support for the increased use of alternative fuels in transportation, renewable energy sources in power generation, and accelerating development and integration of advanced energy technologies into our economy.
GNA’s success results from our: wide-ranging experience; commitment to excellence; technical expertise; in-depth understanding of public policy and available grant funding programs; and extensive strategic relationships with industry, government, environmental groups and impacted communities. For more information about GNA, visit: www.gladstein.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or medical condition.
Job Type: Full-time
- clean energy and/or clean transportation: 2 years (Preferred)
- project management: 1 year (Preferred)