We are Lot Squared Development, a developer of boutique condominiums and luxury single-family residences in Washington, D.C., and we are looking for an Architect to come join us full-time at our office (but remote during COVID) in Vienna, Virginia.
We have an immediate opening for an on-staff Architect who will serve as primary design manager for the portfolio. Successful applicant will be a self-starter, proactive, and driven. This is a new position and will report directly to the owner of the company.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Liaison with outside consultant design firms/architects
- Ensure consultant accountability for contracted tasks and schedules
- Produce design documentation in support of the aesthetic direction established by consultant architects and interior designers
- Perform quality control reviews on all design documents prior to permit submission and issuance for construction
- Produce and submit complete permit drawing sets for 1-to-20 unit residential developments, to DCRA or other local jurisdiction. These will include site plans, erosion control plans as required, building plans, framing plans, elevations, sections, details, schedules, and all calculations required for permit submittals.
- Assist consultant architects to coordinate with mechanical, structural, landscape and other disciplines as required
- Produce basic electrical and plumbing plans for projects with limited scope.
- Produce and submit drawings, reports, and calculations as required to secure permits from DC Water, Department of Energy & Environment (DOEE), Department of Transportation (DDOT)
- Sign and seal drawings as required for permit submission
- On occasion, assist consultant architects to produce and submit drawings, reports, and calculations as required to secure approval when required from neighborhood and/or historic review entities
- Perform site surveys, including detailed field verification/measurement
- Drawing base building plans based on field measurements, to be provided to consultant design firms
- Draft design and detail drawings under direction of consultant architects and interior designers
- Coordinate with in-house Purchasing Manager and Field Manager
- Perform periodic site visits
- Coordinate with our construction contractors regarding construction management tasks and status
- Review submittals (e.g. millwork)
Who are we looking for? Good question! We want…
- Integrity. Like any relationship, mutual trust is key and for us, non-negotiable. If you actively steal, cut corners, falsify, or lie, seek employment elsewhere. This extends reciprocally –transparency is a hallmark of our culture.
- Curiosity and passion about what we do. We don’t build bland commercial structures in middle America. We design and develop elegant residential spaces in D.C., an inspired city unlike any other. We want someone who leans in, who will share the thrill with us in what we do, and who will take pride in our results. If you’re just looking for a paycheck, we are not for you.
- Detail-oriented. Making a drawing work on paper is hard enough, but turning a drawing into a building requires an attention to every minute specification. Constructability is one thing; code-compliance is another. We need a sharp imagination to measure, analyze, and draft our upcoming projects, and stay on top of the ever-shifting regulatory landscape.
- A dependable team player. It sounds cliché, but we mean it. Construction is a team sport – no one person can do it alone. We need someone who thrives in a team environment, who we can rely on to get the job done, and who follows through, follows up, and meets deadlines. The term self-starter also comes to mind.
- A small business/entrepreneurial/problem solver mindset. We are not cogs in some corporate machine. We roll up our sleeves and wear multiple hats. What we don’t understand, we learn quickly. We wrangle chaos daily. Your hands won’t get calloused, but they will get dirty.
- Ease/savviness with technology. Software is a fact of business and we employ a few programs in our operations. You don’t have to be a master user on day one, but you should be comfortable and capable enough with the computer to learn.
- A tenacious, positive personality. Creation is an uphill climb most anywhere; in D.C., old challenges magnify while new challenges emerge. Our job sites are measured in inches, not feet, and we work amidst the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Minimum 6 years experience producing residential construction documents, including multifamily projects in the Washington,DC metro area
- Experience with successfully creating, submitting, expediting and gaining permit approval for residential projects in Washington, DC via DCRA ProjectDox and related portals
- Familiarity with single-family and multi-residential building codes in DC, MD, and VA
- Professional Degree in Architecture or related (Bachelor or Master’s degree required)
- DC Architect license preferred
- AutoCad experience preferred
- Experience in review/coordination of structural & mechanical drawings
- Knowledge of architectural design techniques
- Knowledge of typical residential construction methods
- Proficiency in AutoCAD Architecture (Required); potential for Revit in future
- Proficiency in use of plotters, copiers, printers & scanners
Work hours & location:
- Office hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm (including 1-hour lunch break), though some evenings and weekends will occasionally be required
- Remote during COVID, some in-office work may be required in meantime
- Post-COVID: in Vienna, VA office and on job sites
- Candidate must have own reliable transportation
- We will perform a background check before any offer is extended
Salary and Benefits:
- Hourly rate commensurate with experience
- Health benefits allowance
- Five weeks PTO in the first year (vacation, holidays, and sick days combined)
- 401K program anticipated in approximately 6 months
A little more about us…
We develop boutique condominiums (between 2 and 20 units per development) and luxury single-family residences in D.C. Closely collaborating with leading designers, realtors, and trades in the District, we revitalize Washingtonian charm with polished modernity. As both customer and general contractor, we ensure our products have the highest standards in residential construction.
Learn more about us at www.lotsquared.com
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Commensurate with experience
Job Type: Full-time
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Architecture: 6 years (Required)
- Please include an online link to your professional portfolio.
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19