Meridian Contracting, Inc, located in Norman, OK, is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Project Engineer.
This position will report to the Area Manager, Project Manager, and Project Superintendents and Operations Manager
Must have proven abilities and skills in the following: leadership and management of people, communication (verbal and written), planning and organization. Must set standards of excellence in leadership, safety, quality and productivity for his/her subordinates. A hard worker with follow through and ability to be organized and double check work. Integrity is key, as is the ability to self-start and be driven to excellence. Must have working knowledge and be able to direct the operations of at least the following management systems: scheduling - CPM, unit manhour performance, material control, estimating, and subcontracts.
- Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately.
- Read and understand plans and specifications. Visualize two dimensional drawings in three dimensions.
- With regard to that portion of the work assigned, develop complete understanding of contract plans and specifications.
- Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost saving measures that arise or that may be encountered. Take corrective actions as needed.
- Inspect subordinate’s work for compliance with the contract plans and specifications, point out deficiencies and explain and take any corrective action needed.
- Listen to directions and suggestions from supervisors or other employees regarding safe and proper work practices, evaluate that information and devise and implement a plan of action based on that evaluation for carrying out the duties of this position.
- Observe functioning of installed equipment or systems to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement.
- Occasionally lift and carry heavy items weighing up to 80 pounds or more.
- Move in and around confined and cluttered places, and uneven areas. Full range of motion and flexibility consistent with age.
- Work up to a 12 hour shift doing hard physical labor in varying temperature extremes and other outside conditions.
- Climb and maintain balance on steel framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds.
- Identify workplace safety hazards and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate or minimize them.
- Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens).
- Understand and implement lockout/tagout procedures in a safe manner.
- Produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards.
- Investigate and write RFIs and Submittals
- Recognize and track extra work
- Manage Subcontractors
- Be motivated and work productively.
- Become thoroughly knowledgeable with the project’s contract documents, drawings, specifications and scope of work.
- Create and update job schedules as necessary
- Develop and maintain the project master schedule using CPM techniques and appropriate scheduling software with input from other project management personnel.
- Prepare and transmit submittals (materials, vendors) to client for approval.
- Procure materials ahead of time
- Write requisitions and purchase orders; follow up with suppliers and expedite deliveries.
- Monitor receiving, warehousing functions and material control.
- Receive and log-in drawings and other contract documents, maintain document control log; ensure that current drawings are issued to the field; void drawings are retrieved and filed.
- Manage subcontracts.
- Set up and maintain the Unit Manhour Performance Report (UMPS); submit weekly report to and review with supervisor.
- Field estimating/change orders.
- Implement Quality Standards
- Look for ways to improve project operations; submit ideas to supervisor.
- In addition, perform any other job specific duties as requested by supervisor.
- Perform all other actions necessary to accomplish the foregoing essential job functions.
- Coordinate work with other crafts and co-workers on the job.
- Salaried position which is exempt from overtime.
- Vehicle or Vehicle Allowance is provided for business purposes.
- Exempt positions earn one day of vacation per month of service.
- PPO health insurance premiums are paid in full by Meridian for exempt positions.
Meridian Contracting is strongly committed to safety. Requirements: Verifiable Employment History. Salary is based upon experience. EOE. Minorities and Women are encouraged to apply. Drug Free Work Place. To apply, please submit your resume' and salary history with this ad, or stop by our office located at 17500 S. Sooner Road, Norman, OK .
Job Type: Full-time
- Minimum 3 years in similar heavy civil/industrial construction: 3 years (Required)
- Do you currently reside in Oklahoma?: 1 year (Required)