Good pay! Good benefits! Good people! At Knife River, we take care of our team because we know it’s our people who make us successful. We are one of the 10 largest construction materials producers/contractors in the country, and we’re growing! We are adding people to our team every day — people who are committed to working safely and to delivering high-quality results for our customers.
Knife River has an immediate opening for a Safety Specialist in Medford, Oregon, to join an existing team emphasizing safety, quality, production and growth.
This position is responsible for planning, implementing and coordinating programs to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses, and financial losses to Knife River’s Northwest Region. Specific emphasis on Construction and Materials Supply business with MSHA safety expertise.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plans, implements, administers and coordinates programs to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses, safety violations and financial losses.
- Identifies and evaluates conditions which could lead to accidents, incidents and financial losses and recommends corrective action(s).
- Monitor, oversee and ensure compliance for a variety of safety program areas.
- Research and review Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) and accident information and follow up with appropriate parties to address and correct issues.
- Review historical information for areas where high violations occur in order to identify what violations are trending and suggest process improvements to management. Identify and review processes for gaps that could lead to potential violations and report to management.
- Train team members regularly on safety related topics, in compliance with regulatory and company requirements.
- Conduct New Hire Safety Training (including onboarding and follow up training).
- Recognize hazardous situations and implement corrective procedures.
- Notify and train employees on company safety policies and conduct New Hire Safety Orientations.
- In coordination with others, investigate incidents, manage and monitor worker’s compensation, other general and auto liability insurance claims.
- Ensure compliance with company safety policies, corporate safety initiatives, state, local and federal regulations.
- Be proactive in creating a stronger safety culture by undertaking initiatives to improve company safety.
- Coordinate safety activities with management to ensure implementation throughout the organization.
- Conduct field audits and noise and dust testing.
- Compile, analyze, and interpret statistical data and prepares reports.
- Maintain excellent field presence to monitor safety performance.
- Strive to reduce accidents, injuries, and safety violations by providing communication, training and enforcement.
- Maintain liaison with outside organizations to assure information exchange and mutual assistance.
- Stay informed of safety related regulations, rules or laws impacting the construction and transportation industries. Provide technical advice of the impact in the operational divisions.
- Keep involved with governing agencies at ground level on new laws. Participate in providing feedback on the development of new regulations. Participate on available agency subcommittees as appropriate.
- Address public safety complaints.
- Ensure DOT, FMCSR, MSHA, and OSHA safety regulation compliance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How To Apply:
- BA/BS degree in safety, construction, engineering, human resources or other appropriate discipline or equivalent combination of experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience in health and safety programs for construction or transportation industry, a regulatory government agency or similar organization or significant industry experience with strong safety focus/record.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Intermediate computer skills.
- Strong research and analytic skills.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong training skills.
- Ability to travel around the state regularly and drive to job sites.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
- Working knowledge of health and safety regulations related to construction or transportation industry.
- Working knowledge of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, DOT, Oregon State Commercial Driving rules and CSA a plus.
- General knowledge of worker’s compensation insurance and financial matters related to health and safety programs.
- Working knowledge of computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet or presentation software.
- Working knowledge of construction materials equipment and operations.
- Certified trainer or significant training experience preferred.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment criminal background check, physical/functional exam and drug screen.
To be considered for this position, candidates must complete and submit an employment application at jobs.mdu.com by the posting deadline noted above. If unable to complete an application online you may print and send completed application to any Knife River NW address or stop in one of our locations to complete an application.
Knife River is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status or any other protected category under applicable state/federal law.
Subject to pre-employment drug testing and background check.
Put Your Skills to Work with Us!
At Knife River, we are committed to helping our military transition to civilian life. We are constantly looking to add veterans to our workforce and want to make the transition as smooth as possible. There are many jobs within the military that are transferable to our Safety Specialist position:
Public Health Officer
Ground Safety Officer
Aviation Safety Officer
Surface Safety Officer
Weapons Safety Officer