Join Our Team in Nakusp, BC!
We are now accepting applications for a Heavy-Duty Mechanic / Millwright
Who we are:
At WaterBridge, we believe that people are the core of our business. We are proud to offer our employees a positive work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits. When you are a member of the WaterBridge team, you enjoy a stable career where your ideas are encouraged, and skills valued. We offer a worksite in one of the prettiest areas in the country to live and work. If you are an avid outdoor person you can ski, sled, bike and hike in some of the best natural areas in British Columbia.
WaterBridge Group is a privately-owned ship building and ferry operator company based in British Columbia, Canada. The team specializes in building vessels in remote sites, under difficult environmental conditions and with limited access to industrial infrastructure.
We are also responsible for the safe ferry passage of people in the communities surrounding the Arrow Lakes and Francois Lake in the interior of BC. Our ferry crews are Transport Canada trained and certified. We are a dedicated team working in a fast-paced environment with a focus on customer service and quality workmanship. We pride ourselves on the impact we make to the local economies in which we build and operate.
Who you are:
You are a seasoned Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic or Millwright with a focus on working safely and efficiently. Your problem-solving skills are beyond average and you are known for your creative approach to equipment failure issues. You are a forward thinker and planner. You thrive in a fast-paced work environment where no two days are the same. Your approachable demeanor makes you a natural team player.
Heavy- Duty Mechanic/Millwright
We have an immediate opening for a Heavy- Duty Mechanic/ Millwright based out of our Nakusp, BC location. The Heavy-Duty Mechanic/Millwright is responsible for the mechanical maintenance and repairs of an inland water marine fleet and other heavy-duty equipment. This position interfaces with the operations team to ensure the fleet is operating efficiently, effectively and safely. Additional duties include marine vessel refits and overseeing mechanical engineering projects of various sizes and complexity. Reporting to the Mechanical Technical Manager, he/she will be considered the technical resource for all employees.
- Performs work with safety as a priority
- Completes maintenance and repairs on marine vessels and other heavy-duty equipment including loaders,cranes and trucks
- Responds to equipment emergency situations locally and remotely
- Ensures speedy, cost effective and quality response to breakdowns and analyzes reasons for breakdown so as to eliminate them and avoid repeats
- Ensures company meets or exceeds environmental regulations related to vessel chemical use and waste products
- May direct the work of mechanical, hydraulic, electronic and electrical maintenance, repair and installation contractors
- Maintains service logs and records of maintenance on equipment
- May assist in training other workers in mechanical repair techniques
- Consults on repairs or improvements to docks and other company facilities
- Uses plasma cutting and welding equipment for fabrication of small parts required during maintenance
- Reads equipment diagrams and schematic drawings to determine work procedures
- Experience in Rigging or hoisting/lifting is preferred
- Trouble-shoots and repairs hydraulic systems
- Trouble-shoots and repairs pneumatic systems
- Fits bearings, align gears and shafts, attach motors, and connect couplings and belts
- Check machines in operation on a continual basis in order to detect problems; exercise judgment in executing necessary adjustments as required in order to maintain quality control standards
- Share questions, learnings and best practices with fellow mechanics in order to contribute to
- machine efficiency levels and decreasing machine breakdowns and downtime
- Operating mechanical systems related to the water/sewer, HVAC and building systems, fire alarms
- Performing a wide variety of general and specialized maintenance and repairs to the engineering systems including: pipe fitting, electrical, welding, machining and custom fabrication using a wide range of materials
- Inspecting, maintaining and rebuilding motors and pumps and other machinery associated with marine support systems and building systems
- Red Seal Mechanic or Millwright Designation required
- Experience in Rigging, or hoisting/lifting is preferred
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in industrial maintenance
- Valid Class 1 license with air brake endorsement
- Previous experience in welding an asset
- Marine industry experience an asset
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot, diagnose malfunctions and resolve equipment breakdowns quickly
- Ability to make sound, effective business decisions during times of pressure or stress
- Proficient with computer applications including Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Must be a self-starter
- Effective interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy while working with a variety of individuals and groups
- Able to work with little or no supervision
- Ability to lift heavy items, climb stairs and enter confined spaces
- Work is mostly performed onboard inland water vessels and in a ship repair facility
- The worksite is subject to weather impacts and may result in a cold, hot or wet working environment
- Work may be required in confined and dirty spaces
- Use of chemicals may be required
- Periodic vessel haul - outs may require working long hours
- Noise is considered above normal when working in engine room area; hearing protection is supplied
Work Hours: Monday – Friday 07:00 – 16:00 or as required by current work load. This position is part of a continuous operation. The incumbent will need the flexibility to be “on call” and available after hours. This schedule may include weekends and/or holidays, as directed. Overtime may be required without notice.
This position is non-union and completes work in a unionized environment. You will receive a competitive annual salary, full benefits including contributions to the pension plan and a company vehicle.A relocation allowance is included.
This posting is open from Jan 9- 31, 2020
We thank all applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
WaterBridge Ferries is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.
Job Type: Full-time
- Mechanical Skills: 3 years (Preferred)