- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical field
- 5+ years experience in mechanical design in a product development environment
- 5+ years experience with 3D CAD modeling with either Creo, Solidworks or similar
- 5+ years experience creating design documentation in accordance with ASME or ISO standards
- Experience in working with vendors to create components and assemblies for prototyping
The Data Center Global Services team within Amazon Web Services, is responsible for the design and development of our industry-leading, large-scale, mission facilities. We create the highest quality and most energy efficient data centers in the world for our customers. We innovate and create game changing ideas, in that we develop and own the design of the complete data center system, from the power substation and facility mechanical systems to the servers and silicon.
As part of this team, you will work within an interdisciplinary group to develop, design and test innovative solutions to solve some of the some of the most challenging problems we face today.
We are a diverse, upbeat, creative, team-oriented group working on a daily basis to develop architectures and technology that are driving future of our data center designs.
You will own key aspects of system architectures and designs from concept to production and will dive deep on the technical feasibility, working with outside partners to deliver reliable and robust systems.
The Mechanical Engineer owns development of systems from concept to production of the solutions to produce the most energy efficient, cost effective, and scalable designs achievable.
Major Responsibilities are:
- Developing an understanding of the key aspects of existing data center systems to the extent that key sources of: high capital/operational costs, reduced efficiencies, high-levels of maintenance, security issues and safety risks can be identified as improvement opportunities
- Working with the larger team, including hardware and network development teams, to drive requirements and execute designs from concept to production including specification, design, prototyping, testing and documentation.
- Review and collaboration with our data center operations, security, safety teams to ensure that designs meet or exceed our existing standards and agreements.
- Working with our supply chain and reliability and quality teams along with direct communication and collaboration with our manufacturing and product vendors to ensure the successful transition from concept to production
- Growing and developing the engineering team through supporting our talent hiring process and mentorship programs.
- Providing technical support as a subject matter expert, for emergent issues in existing systems, providing direction to root cause and failure analysis efforts. Provide guidance to remediation and long term corrective measures.
- 5+ years’ experience with Simulation and Finite Element Analysis tools (ANSYS/Fluent/Icepak, Flotherm)
- 5+ years of engineering experience in the design of data center mechanical
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of mechanical engineering principles and theories and their use, including heat transfer, fluid flow and/or static and dynamic structural analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and development of performance and validation test plans, their execution and analysis of results including statistical analysis techniques
- Ability to effectively communicate concepts and proposals to internal and external teams, through design reviews and presentations
- Strong organizational skills and ability to collaborate with other teams in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of both national and international safety and regulatory requirements including UL, NFPA/NEC, IEC, ISO
- Demonstrated knowledge of power delivery systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of failure and root cause analysis processes and techniques
- Experience in reliability engineering of power-delivery equipment, mechanical equipment and large scale mechanical systems
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation/Age