28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This is an individual contributor role. The primary functions of the Product Design Engineer include the engineering design and product testing activities required to ensure project objectives are met. Projects include; Custom products based on architectural designs provided by the customer, cost reduction of existing products, product enhancements, and development of new products. The incumbent documents testing conditions, records data, and compiles a comprehensive test report that is logged into the Product Development test database. The design team may consist of one or more individuals from Application Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Procurement (Global Sourcing Group), Sales & Marketing, SWATT and Operations. The incumbent utilizes in-house consultation of colleagues and Principle Engineers to assure specifications are met, and receives consultation from Manufacturing to ensure design efficiency and manufacturability. Depending on the scope of the project the Product Development Engineer may be responsible for leading the development team. The incumbent must continually improve his or her knowledge of existing assemblies, keep up-to-date on manufacturing capabilities.
Other Important Details about the Role:
- This position reports to the Manager of Custom Projects and has no direct or indirect reports
- This role requires up to (10%) travel (internationally/domestically), including overnight stays
- Responsible for the design and validation of new products and product lines
- Works in design and development activities to meet project requirements as defined by the Project Manager
- Works as a technical liaison between Valmont clients and Structures Dept. design/production teams to incorporate client feedback into the design and fabrication of existing and new Valmont products
- Responsible for intra-team coordination of project design work between SWATT/Prod Development/Fabrication and Testing teams
- Work with individuals from Manufacturing Engineering, Machine Builders, and Sales and Marketing to ensure design efficiency and manufacturability
- Follow standard design and development procedures, recommending updates to design procedures when needed
- Provides design direction and technical support to other associate product engineers and product designers
- Provides creative engineering design and development of new products to meet requirements defined by Product Managers
- Responsible for modifications to existing designs and products to meet changes in manufacturing capabilities, support cost reduction activities, and address reliability and warranty issues
- Responsible for providing creative and innovative engineering solutions that aid in the resolution of field and manufacturing problems and in the maintenance and improvement of existing products
- Responsible for maintaining good relationships with customers, field personnel and other Valmont departments to ensure the most efficient working environment
- Responsible for the detailed project documentation currently required by Valmont Product Development procedures
- Responsible for advancing personal technical competence in order to participate in new design concepts using the latest state-of-the-art technology
- Responsible for reviewing and providing inputs to the product development procedure to ensure continuous improvement of processes
- Responsible for providing technical design inputs and technical direction for design reviews
- Provide technical support to other departments as required toward meeting the needs of our customers
The Product Design Engineer acts as a project team associate working with cross functional partners to design and develop activities required to meet product requirements. The position is accountable meeting milestone dates for those projects assigned. The role requires partnership with multiple cross functional partners. The Product Design Engineer is responsible for attending technical design review meetings and providing technical design inputs and direction when needed. The Product Design Engineer must continually improve his or her knowledge of existing assemblies, keep up-to-date on manufacturing capabilities, and developing an awareness of the field usage of our products.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelors with 3+ years preferred relevant experience
- Demonstrated strong communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong design ability with experience in visually communicating concepts to customers and internal resources
- Strong mechanical and spatial aptitude with the ability to understand the physical requirements of a product concept
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt designs aesthetically and proportionally
- Proficiency with Inventor, Solidworks and Creo
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Project)
- Strong working knowledge of 3D Computer-Aided Design Software
- Travel up to 10% of the time. May include international travel.
- Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design or Engineering
- Knowledge of steel manufacturing processes, Metallurgy and Finite Element Analysis
- Work experience in Product design
- Experience with Rapid Prototyping processes and procedures
- Experience with FEA setup and virtual testing for structural elements
- Work experience interacting with Engineers
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. Travel requirements up to 10% for this position and will be both domestic and international travel. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office and on occasion meet in the production areas adhering to PPE and safety requirements. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move parts up to the safety limit weight of 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.