Heat Treating Services Corporation of America (HTS) is a family-owned and operated company founded in 1978. We are a pro-active and innovative organization committed to provide world-class quality and on-time delivery. As part of our commitment to superior customer service, we have continued to expand by installing furnaces and acquiring facilities to meet specific customer requirements. We are capable of processing 84 million pounds per month.
The Met Lab Technician’s primary function is providing support to production. The Met Lab Technician is on the front lines, bridging the gap between the leaders, customers, and production who are the backbone of the Company. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-starter who is committed to be an integral part of the team. The ideal candidate is motivated by a challenging work environment where there is potential for growth and advancement.
Perform metallurgical testing and evaluations on parts per customer specifications & industry standards. It is Met Lab Tech's responsibility to identify, isolate, tag and notify Dept. Management and Production Management of Non-Conforming material and preventing shipment of Non-Conforming material. Provide Production and Met Lab with communication regarding data / evaluation for hold lots. Provide Lab support across multiple plants, transportation required for travel between plants on a daily basis. Provide Production support through Hardness Training, FQC (Final Quality Checks - hardness testing / verification), hold removals, hardness testing equipment. Provide Department support with Chemistry data entry, No Draw Temps, SQC data entry, etc.
· Determine which lab pending approvals are priority & prioritize based on process and customer demand.
Verbal communication with previous shift lab tech
o Verbal communication with Plant Material Control Clerk
o Production Communication White Boards
o Email - Metlab Pending Lots Report (2hr autoreport)
o Email - Requested Hot Jobs from production
o Access - QryPendingLab Approvals
· Visit Plants QC stations for lab parts pink & red tagged, determine testing required, if any samples need to be requested for lab testing, collect samples and sign off on Lab Sample Log Book for samples collected.
o Lab Techs will punch in and out from each plant traveled to and from for Mileage Reimbursement
o Collect samples and transport them to one of 2 equipped labs for testing and evaluation.
o Does require lifting and transporting parts of various sizes and weights ( 2 lbs to 50+ lbs)
· Perform required Surface Hardness Testing per Master Process.
· Section Part for required Core Hardness Testing and / or Microstructure Evaluations per Master Process.
· Mount samples for required Macro Vickers Hardness Testing and / or Microstructure evaluation per Master Process.
· Polish samples for required Macro Vickers Hardness Testing and / or Microstructure evaluation per Master Process.
· Create Mount Book Entry
o Enter the required Data
o Assign Mount # if Required
o Evaluate Microstructure if required
o Acquire microstructure Image
o Approve, if not approving communicate status to department (and production when necessary)
· Provide communication/status for lots not approved and / or put on hold
o Customer, Part Number, Lot Number, Material, Process, F'ce, Spec (Surface, Core, Micro), collected data and attach relevant images / documents.
o In cases when Non-Conforming material can be attributed to furnace cycle include brief description of issue.
o Provide any additional information / testing / data requested by Lab Management
· Perform Chemical Analysis when requested
· Perform automated assigned dock audits
· Print MetR's when requested
· Enter Histogram Data, prepare and print when requested
· Enter Chemistries and setup No Draw Temps when requested
· Etch and issue Production Hardness Verification Blocks
· Maintain & verify all lab testing equipment as required
· Maintain housekeeping & safety rules in the Lab and QC Stations
· Lab consumables
o Refill lab consumables on a daily shift basis
o Report low consumable levels to Met Lab Supervisor
· Hardness Training - Production New Hires
o Administer written test
o Observe - grinding, testing and reading for Brinell Hardness Testing
· Perform simple Layered Process Audits for assigned plants once per shift.
· Any Additional Department related duties.
Status: Full-time, standard 40 hours per week with overtime. Their are two openings for this position. The shifts of operation are; 2nd shift from 3 pm - 11 pm and the second opening is on 3rd shift from 11 pm - 7 am Sunday through Saturday. Must be available to work weekends. Afternoon and night shift differential pay provides the opportunity for extra income, in addition to overtime pay.
Compensation: Hourly pay based on Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, insurance benefit options will be offered on the first of the month following 60 days of employment. You will receive paid holidays after six months, and a paid time off (PTO) accrual based on hours worked. You will have the opportunity to participate in both our Flexible Spending Account and our 401k plan (with a great company match). Not only can you request tuition reimbursement for yourself but we offer a paid Associate’s Degree at a local community college for up to two (2) of your children. Additional educational training and opportunities are also available. Excellent potential for growth and a great work atmosphere.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: A qualified Met Lab Technician candidate will be disciplined in the following areas:
· Give and understand instructions, learn new things, make requests, ask questions and convey information with ease.
· Clearly share simple and positive information in a way that can be understood and get done.
· Adapt to a new and different situations, read behavior of others, compromise to reach agreement, have difficult conversations with ease, and avoid or resolve conflicts.
· Be a good listener.
· The ability to use your time, energy, resources, etc. in an effective way to fulfill job responsibilities.
· Take notes during training that can be referred to and easily followed without needing supervision.
· Easy shift transition between lab technicians.
· Knowing when to rely on one’s own skills, abilities, judgment.
· Knowing when to ask for help; understanding one’s limitation of knowledge and experience.
· The ability to do what needs to be done to complete tasks, even when they are challenging.
· Drive to keep growing, continuously learning, and continuously improving skills.
Quality of Work
· Produce work that if fully acceptable with very few errors and very little waste of time or resources.
· Can be depended on to perform work in compliance with industry standards and company expectations.
· Double checks work or asks to have work double-checked so improvements can be made.
· Takes notes of errors and ways to correct/improve to prevent making same errors in the future.
· Intermediate Literacy Level Required
o Reading, understanding, summarizing, making simple inferences, determining cause and effect and recognizing action required
o Locating information, documents, drawings, specifications, utilizing reference materials
o Basic arithmetic operations
· Minimum Education
o High school diploma or equivalent.
· Higher Education/Experience Preferred; not required:
o Metallurgical education, knowledge and/or training
o Engineering education, knowledge and/or training
o Quality Tech education, knowledge and/or training
o Laboratory education, knowledge and/or training
o Heat Treating education, knowledge and/or training
· Outlook – receive, Send, Calendar, Attachments
· Access – Master Process, Mount Book, Chemistry, Filter, Queries
· ADOBE – Saving, Printing, Watermark, Signature
· Plex – HTS & Customer
Lab Specific Software
· Paxit – Image acquisition, measurement, analysis software
· SQC – SPC data collection, analysis software
· CAT Hardenability Calculator
General Computer Skills
· Access – Save customer and industry specifications, drawings, images
· Create – Access folders, files
· Scan, Save and Attach documents
Sample Prep Hardness Testing
Band Saw Brinell (Portable/Stationary Manual and Auto, 1500 kgf & 3000 kgf)
Cut-Off Saw Brinell Scope (Analog & Digital)
Grinding Wheel Rockwell (HrB, HrC)
Disc Grinders Vickers (Macro & Micro)
Polisher (semi-Auto & manual)
Office Equipment Specialty Equipment
Computer Optical Emission Spectrometer
Phones–Voicemail, Holds, Transfer, Page, Conference
Met Lab Department
Lab Techs, Met Lab Clerk, Met Lab Supervisor, Met Lab Manager, V.P. Technical Services
Material Control Clerk, Furnace Operators, Lead Furnace Operators, Shift Mangers, Plant Managers
Quality Engineer, Maintenance Technicians'
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $16.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
- Are you willing to undergo a background check, in accordance with local law/regulations?
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- Overnight Shift (Preferred)
Work Location: One location