We're Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world's most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today's most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The staff mechanical engineer is responsible for designing and releasing components and systems for Cruise's automated driving hardware platform both in the prototype and production environment, with a focus on robotics. This team is responsible for the hardware platform as a whole which encompasses major subsystems such as the roof module, compute suite, and the sensor suite. Successful members of the team will generally have a breadth of design engineering interests and capabilities as well as an area of more focused expertise in order to conceptualize, specify, develop, design, release, and launch thermal, electrical, and mechanical components and systems for Cruise's hardware platform for automated driving technology.
- Derive requirements and specifications for systems and components
- Create DFMEA, statement of work, and other engineering documentations
- Design with NX, Solidworks, or similar software
- Conduct FEA and modal analysis on common cases and optimize designs based on results
- Work with engineers across the vehicle engineering team and with different teams as needed
- Collaborate with prototype and production technicians and suppliers
- Design for the appropriate manufacturing process based on quantity estimates
- Validate components and systems to spec
- Prototype various hardware projects
- Mechatronics and/or robotics design experience
- Experience adhering to rigorous industry standards
- Minimum of 10 years of professional mechanical engineering experience
- Utilization of multiple areas of engineering expertise
- Knowledge of standard manufacturing processes and common material properties
- Expertise in CAD - Preferably SolidWorks
- Experience designing for manufacturing and/or assembly in medium to high volume production design
- BOM Creation and BOM Maintenance
- Fluent in GD&T
- Knowledge of thermal mechanical systems
- Experience integrating electrical and mechanical systems
- Working expertise with FEA packages
- Experience working with and communicating with cross-functional teams
- Self-starter; ability to work independently
- Experience and ability to work in an ambiguous work environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Wire routing and securement
- Connector selection, sealing and placement
- Experience with controls
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page ( https://www.linkedin.com/company/cruise-automation-inc-/life/42f6663d-3dc6-4455-8998-4f63f031544d/ ).
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies:
Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.