Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
The Tooling Engineer is responsible for and manages the cast and trim tooling used for production and prototypes Key Responsibilities
Manage die cast die and trim tooling build, design and spare parts to produce the highest Net Casting Rate.
- Design die cast dies: runner, cooling, vacuum systems, etc. to ensure best part quality and optimize yield.
- Design die seals for best vacuum performance and leak prevention.
- Calculate and design cooling system to ensure best part quality and optimal cycle time.
- Typical designs include: vacuum, seals, hydraulic actuated cores/slides, squeeze cores, jet-cooled cores, etc.
- Optimize tooling performance by utilizing coatings and materials to improve die life and reduce/eliminate soldering.
- Design features that facilitate quick die change.
- Maintain list of standard tooling components (cylinders, limit switches, prox switches, etc.)
- Develop and maintain die standards to: 1. Improve production performance (net casting rate), 2. Optimize casting yield and,
3. Minimize tooling costs / good casting.
- Collaborate with Tool Room Manager to develop and maintain Tooling PM System.
- Responsible for improving uptime and reducing maintenance costs of DC & Trim dies. Determine root-cause analysis and
- Analyze die IR images and improve die cooling to improve thermal balance of DC die.
- Utilize 3D FEA, Flow and Solidification analysis to improve designs.
- Perform dimensional analysis, implement counter-measures to improve dimensional capability. Complete understanding of
casting tolerances and GD&T.
- Collaborate with Machining Engineer to minimize machining stock and machining operations.
- Oversee tooling builds with tool shops. Manage timing and budget.
- Maintain master tool drawings. Provide access to Tool Room staff for all tooling maintenance – minimizing downtime and
- SME: DC Dies, Trim Dies, trim presses and straightening tooling/equipment.
- Optimize shot component life (shot component cost/good shot).
- Calculate tooling clearances based on thermal expansion and minimum flow distances.
- Utilize poke yokes in tool design to prevent misassembly.
- Perform other duties as required. Key Qualifications/Requirements
5-10 years related experience in the high pressure die castings in the automotive industry
- Die Design, Runner & Cooling Design experience
- Proficient in 2D and 3D CAD
- BS - Mechanical/Industrial Engineering
- Knowledge of Root Cause Analysis
- Lean Manufacturing background & Six Sigma preferred
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced working environment
- Flexibility to travel in Ontario and abroad
- Fundamental computer skills using Microsoft Office suite, MS Project and Minitab
- Must be able to understand written instructions Additional Information