Attention Coders, App Designers, Software Engineers, and Web Developers!
Paier College in Bridgeport, CT is seeking a highly qualified, enthusiastic academic leader to head its software design and development programs. The ideal candidate for this Department Chair position has a passion for education, is fueled by a desire to grow enrollment in these programs, can engage with prospective students about the opportunities in this field, will guide the development of real programs and applications, and can effectively hire and manage the faculty experts teaching the coursework. In addition, you will be able to teach some of the coursework in the program as well!
The Chair will need to manage the teaching of courses as dictated by the schedule needs. Courses are taught on-ground in the classroom.
The Mission of Paier College is to engage talented and inspired individuals by fostering intellectual curiosity and innovation through the delivery of a forward-thinking curriculum which reflects the evolving needs of our society. This is achieved through the promotion of a culture that values critical thinking skills, civic responsibility, and collaborative experiences. The hired candidate will exemplify the ability to achieve this Mission, while simultaneously demonstrating through their own academic success at the Master’s level or above, their expertise which will serve as an asset to Paier students enrolled in these programs of study. Paier College is an institution that is growing. A candidate’s ability to work in a goal-oriented and achievement-minded organization is critical.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Recommends the employment of all full-time and part-time faculty in the program to the Dean of Academics and arranges for course coverage as necessary.
- Evaluates faculty in the program in accordance with College policies; makes evaluations known to the individuals and to the Dean of Academics and Provost.
- Determines faculty needs and makes recommendations to the Dean of Academics; Assigns, in cooperation with the Dean of Academics, instructional responsibilities to Application Design faculty.
- Maintains a file of course syllabi and course outlines for the courses of the program; Ensure all outlines are in the current ACCCSC outline/format.
- Serves as the liaison with staff in the other administrative offices of the College and as a spokesperson for the program; attends academic leadership meetings.
- Recommends course offerings and class schedules for each semester to the Dean of Academics.
- Provides leadership to the program in the development of courses, instructional techniques, and institutional resources; helps develop updated curricula with the recommendation of Program Advisory Committee (PAC). In the case of the Application Design Programs, the Program Chair will be responsible for the creation and establishment of the PAC.
- Fosters and maintains awareness of current industry trends and technology and accesses those for potential impact on instruction and instructional delivery.
- Actively engages with the potential employers to foster internship opportunities and job placements for Web and Mobile Application Design students, respectively.
- Coordinates and maintains program advancement and development with the Dean of Institutional Effectiveness. Including reporting for purposes of accreditation and annual reports for budgetary and resource allocation functions.
- Transmits information on decisions of the President, Provost and the Dean of Academics to faculty of the program and provides assistance in the application of these decisions.
- Supervises the disbursement of program supplies; Prepares program requests for instructional resources.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Web AND Mobile Application Design students.
- Assists with the evaluation and awarding of transfer/outside credit when the Dean of Academics or Registrar is unavailable or needs assistance.
- Supports Web and Mobile Application Design career placement initiatives at the College; supports admission initiatives at the College including events, College fairs, and portfolio reviews.
- Perform other tasks related to competency as assigned by the Deans, Provost, Chief of Staff, or President of the College.
Education & Experience
- Three (3) years experience in mobile application development & design and software development ideal.
- A demonstrated portfolio of developed applications, preferred.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
The work environment is to be considered active due to campus construct. Must be able to tolerate moderate noise (i.e., business office with computers, phone, printers, and student/staff traffic) in and around workspace areas.
Light to moderate lifting may be required. Occasional in-state travel may be required.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Bridgeport, CT 06604: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location