Meteorological DeveloperJob location
The position can be based in our USA (Charleston, South Carolina) or UK (Harpenden, Herts) offices.
Accepting applications via submission of a resume and cover letter by 15th July 2022.
Do you want to be part of an award-winning organization that:
- Is at the forefront of the Climate Risk management industry
- Is small enough to feel like a family but large enough to make an impact
- Offers a dynamic work environment with a continuous and varied stream of client driven projects
- Working to facilitate the global transition to renewable energy
Who are we?
The Speedwell Group is a privately-owned, equal opportunity employer specializing in climate risk services in the insurtech / fintech sector. The company, founded in 1994, has offices in the UK and the USA and has circa 25 employees. Speedwell has been voted best weather risk advisory and data provider in the industry by Environmental Finance Magazine for the past 17 years. Some of the companies in the Speedwell Group are regulated by the UK financial regulator, the FCA.
The Speedwell Group is at the forefront of the rapidly expanding climate risk management industry. Over the past 20 years we have developed a reputation as industry experts. We provide climate data and enterprise software for trading contracts and associated services.
Why we need you?
Increased reliance on renewable power generation and a changing political landscape have increased demand for climate risk management. Managing these risks will require a combined effort from industry, governments, and NGO’s. Speedwell is excellently positioned to support this effort by providing a link between the meteorology/climate and the financial sectors.
We are looking for an individual who is self-motivated, forward thinking, and excited to be part of an emerging industry to join our team. Our team is small, but passionate, knowledgeable, and eager to make a difference. The ideal candidate will bring new skills and knowledge to the team while looking to build upon what has been accomplished.
This position represents a tremendous opportunity for someone looking to work with industry experts on cutting edge projects. The ideal candidate will support and continue to develop strategically significant statistical models for data processing/quality control, building renewable power indices (Wind, Solar, Hydro) and improving our forecasting systems.
- Degree in meteorology, applied mathematics or physics
- Advanced knowledge of statistics, probability theory and time series modelling
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on development experience in either C# or Python and SQL
- Experience developing machine learning models
- Be a self‐motivated individual with a strong desire to develop innovative techniques
- Have a creative, positive-minded approach, and be able to collaborate in a team environment
- Be trustworthy with a professional outlook, as required for a regulated organization
- Have adaptability and be a self-starter with good problem-solving skills
- Be comfortable with attention to detail and have the ability to see the work through to the end
- Good oral and written communication skills with the ability to work well with clients and other team members
Other Skills of Interest
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment
- NetCDF, BUFR, GRIB formats
- Knowledge of scientific weather software applications (e.g., WRF, CDO, NCL, WGRIB)
- Knowledge of the Climate Risk Market and/or the Energy Market
- Unit Testing
Why join us?
- Flexible working
- Generous pension/401k benefits with company matching
- Generous annual leave
- Opportunity to travel
- Opportunity to join a small business with a family feel that looks after its employees and has excellent retention rates
- Opportunity to take charge and make a difference
- Opportunities exist for performance-based bonuses
- Generous healthcare contributions (USA based)
Speedwell has a high client retention rate and is looking for another great addition to its team. Due to the size of the company and the dynamism of the market Speedwell allows all team members to play a significant role in the future growth and development of the company. This enables team members to grow in their role and gain skills while adding value.
Compensation commensurate with experience and level of expertise.
For additional information concerning this position or to apply, please contact Pip Palmer
The Speedwell Group includes the following business units:
Speedwell Climate (www.Speedwellclimate.com)
Formerly Speedwell Weather founded in 1999, Speedwell Climate provides quality climate data, forecasts, software, and consultancy. From offices in the UK and the USA we serve clients world-wide in sectors including environmental-risk management, energy, insurance, and agriculture. Our data products include SuperPack® which provides unlimited access to our thousands of high-quality world-wide data sets. Speedwell Climate provides the Speedwell Weather System, an enterprise software system for pricing and managing a portfolio of environmental risk contracts.
Speedwell Settlement Services (www.SpeedwellSettlementServices.com)
Speedwell Settlement Services is the leading provider of meteorological Settlement Data for index-based climate contracts worldwide. With a focus on transparency, accuracy, and reliability Speedwell has provided Settlement Data for both over-the-counter transactions as well as exchange listed contracts. In addition to data services Speedwell Settlement engages in weather station installation / management designed to support climate risk transfer.
weatherXchange® believes that easy access to index-based climate risk protection is critical for businesses which need to address earnings volatility or uncertainty arising from volatility in variables relating to weather, climate and renewables. These businesses include renewable power generators, energy companies in general, companies involved in agriculture, construction companies, and those in the retail and tourism sectors.
As an independent platform, weatherXchange makes accessing climate risk protection easier than ever before by streamlining the process of designing a hedging contract and then connecting the hedger with the companies in the market who can provide the protection.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 - $100,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Charleston, SC 29403: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location