Position Title Instructional Designer
Job Type Staff
The Center for Instructional Technology and Online Learning (CITOL) invites applications for a full-time, grant-funded, exempt position. Flexible work schedule options may be available to the successful candidate. The position reports to the Director of CITOL.
The Instructional Designer is responsible for developing, maintaining, delivering, and supporting evaluation of online and hybrid programs, course, learning modules, and supplemental materials. The position requires independent direction as well as the ability to work on a team. The Instructional Designer will be responsible for the production of instructional design materials, clear communication skills to provide updates and design ideals, updates on course content and technology, and collaboration with course design teams across the Center and university. The Instructional Designer will work with subject matter experts, content specialists, course developers, graphic designers, instructional technologist, media specialists, web application developers, and others from across the higher education environment. As well, the Instructional Designer must demonstrate an understanding of design principles that affect a diverse group of learners.
- Develop and prepare online courses and trainings emphasizing flexibility, equity, accessibility, and privacy.
- Produce instructional materials and interactions that account for diverse groups of learners, adult learning theory, and effective instructional design models.
- Curate existing digital learning interactive content.
- Format content in the LMS for easy to use course navigation
- Address instructional design and learning technology issues found in existing courses
- Review for quality standards.
- Apply current research and theory to instructional design of higher education courses and training modules.
- Collaborate with content experts to apply a variety of techniques in transforming from in-person higher courses to online and hybrid delivery formats.
- Assess all online content in light of current accessibility standards.
- Train faculty on the existing and newly adopted technologies and techniques at the department level.
- Serve as a member in a team environment and communicate regularly with the team.
- Manage the online programs website interface and applies methodical troubleshooting to resolve problems as they occur; communicate with students to ensure an understanding of the technical issue and resolution.
- Manage against multiple competing priorities and deadlines ensuring all targets are met.
- Develop documentation for students, faculty, and staff related to online courses
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Classification 25-0000 Education, Training, and Library Occupations
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology or a related instructional field and one to three years of experience.
- Proficiency working with course design tools and learning management systems.
- Ability to research and introduce new design techniques and tools.
- Experience with developing and supporting digital learning.
- Working experience in web design, development, management, upgrades and IT project management.
- Familiarity with FERPA, ADA, Title III, Title IX, and other equity and accessibility compliance requirements and standards.
- Ability to take initiative, set priorities, handle multiple projects.
- Ability to think strategically, problem solver, and suggest creative solutions.
Experience in higher education. Related industry certifications are a plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to work in a team environment and manage multiple projects concurrently. Ability to work well with students, faculty, and staff and work in a multi-ethnic/multi-cultural environment. Must be able to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and weekends. Knowledge of software and systems supportive of instructional support (Help Desk).
UMES is an EEO/AA employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate must be able to show acceptable documentation establishing the right to accept employment in the United States of America without employer sponsorship.
Salary Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.