Our fleet of articulated tug barges has some of the newest technological advances in the Marine Industry and has been operating for over 50 years!!! We specialize in bulk transport of Iron Ore, and Stone Aggregate across the Great Lakes.
VTB is a company who believes in investing in employees through onsite & hands on training opportunities, tuition assistance for continuing education courses, and the company value of promoting from within. We want lifetime employees who excel and move through the ranks to meet their occupational goals.
We have competitive wages with annual raises and a benefits package which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; with all monthly premiums paid by the company.
To complete an employment application visit us at www.vtbarge.com/careersatvtb
Great Lakes Maritime shipping company is seeking an assistant engineer who exerts managerial skills, professionalism, and a vast knowledge of mechanical maintenance and troubleshooting skills to work on Articulated Tugs, and their accompanied barges.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reports to the Chief Engineer daily
- Stands watch over the Engineering Department
- Have a thorough knowledge of safety operating procedures
- Maintain Deck and Engine Machinery
- Troubleshoot systems as issues arise
- Assist in training crew members in barge, and machinery maintenance
- Maintains equipment such as propulsion, generator, and auxiliary equipment
Operation and maintenance of vessel systems within legal requirements of the Department of Transportation, USCG, and other pertinent regulatory agencies.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States as a U.S. citizen or national, or an alien admitted as a permanent resident, refugee or asylee
- U. S. Passport
- Ability to:
- Be away from home for periods in excess of 30 days; as needed
- Stand for long periods of time
- Lift/carry up to 100 pounds floor to shoulder
- Lift up to 50 pounds floor to overhead
- Climb Stairs/ladders
- Push/pull up to 200 pounds
- Merchant Mariners Document
- TWIC Card
o This position requires that you possess a valid Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) to gain entry into secured areas that are regulated by the Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA).
- Possessing strong written and oral communication skills
- Having the ability to acquire knowledge
- Able to collaborate, effectively manage and work well with others
- Able to clearly follow instructions, both written and verbal
- Able to apply, and enforce safety protocols to achieve the desired outcomes according to the company's operating procedures.
- Possessing organization, efficiency and is a methodical problem solver
- Computer literate
Assistant Engineers work a 28/14 rotation, during a 10- month sailing season From March 15th through January 15th, with the option for additional work during winter months, as needed based on maintenance projects.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: Multiple Locations