Microchip Technology Inc. is a leading provider of embedded control applications. Our product portfolio comprises general purpose and specialized 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit microcontrollers, 32-bit microprocessors, field-programmable gate array (FPGA) products, a broad spectrum of high-performance linear, mixed-signal, power management, thermal management, radio frequency (RF), timing, safety, security, wired connectivity and wireless connectivity devices, as well as serial Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM), Serial Flash memories, Parallel Flash memories, and serial Static Random Access Memory (SRAM). We also license Flash-IP solutions that are incorporated in a broad range of products.
Microchip’s power discrete business is rapidly expanding due to the wide bandgap revolution happening today. The device engineering manager will be responsible for leading a team consisting of engineers and researchers developing new cutting-edge discrete power semiconductor products on SiC and Silicon. Development and introduction of new products are driven from the marketing group and the successful candidate should be able to conceive a new design based on specifications received from end users.
This position requires frequent interfacing with marketing and as well as with various process engineering and assembly/packaging groups. The person must be a self-starter and lead diverse tasks from design and simulation to failure analysis as is typical in a lean company environment.
The candidate would have a tremendous opportunity to contribute in a fast-paced semiconductor company in the midst of multiple product launches. The individual is expected to have excellent communication skills including writing technical reports and publications. They would also need to collaborate with multiple groups within and outside the BU to deliver timely results. Microchip is looking for a hands-on technical person who can get in the trenches if the situation requires and not just a functional manager.
The candidate selected for this position will work out of Colorado Springs, CO, Chandler, AZ or Bend, OR. In order to be considered for more than one location, applicants must submit their profile for each position posted.
- An MSEE in EE or Physics and 10-12 years of experience in leading the design, fabrication, and characterization of power semiconductors, such as power MOSFETs, IGBTs, Schottky and PiN diodes.
- Extensive experience participating in full product development life cycles – from drafting specifications to completing qualification and product release.
- Ability to take on a leadership role and cultivate leaders.
- Experience in developing technology in foundries or off-site fabs.
- Ability to work in a culturally and generationally diverse team.
- Ability to technically direct and mentor engineers.
- Excellent communication skills including report writing, and presentation skills are a must.
- The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in electrical engineering and/or solid-state physics.
- It is preferred that the candidate have been involved in the design, development, and qualification of product lines of power semiconductors aimed for high-volume production.
- Experience in Si discrete power semiconductor design in the 25V-200V range.
- Experience in wide bandgap – SiC (silicon carbide) and GaN (gallium nitride) would be a big plus.
- In-depth knowledge of process steps required to make power semiconductors (implant, oxidation, deposition, etch, and metallization) preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of the interaction of the power semiconductor die with discrete packages or power modules is a plus.
- Ability to draft proposals for government programs.
US Citizenship/Permanent US Residency requirements as outlined below:
This job requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by the export laws of the United States. Candidates are required to provide proof of either US citizenship, Permanent US residency or classification as a protected individual as defined in 8 USC 1324b (a) (3).
Equal Opportunity Employer
Microchip is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of Disabled / Veterans / Minorities / Women. We provide equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state or local laws.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to the EEO is the Law Poster and the EEO is the Law Poster Supplement. Please also refer to the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
Applicants with Disabilities
If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please send us an email here with "Applicant Accommodation Request" in the subject line of the email. Alternatively, you may call us at 480-730-7330 to let us know the nature of your request.