Created in 1937 with a long-standing history in Northeastern Colorado, Northern Water is growing to meet future water demands. Future projects include new storage reservoirs and associated infrastructure and expanding Northern Water's facilities both in Berthoud and on the West Slope. Join a dedicated team that will help shape and provide a legacy throughout the region for years to come.
Northern Water is looking for a Senior Electrical/Mechanical Designer who will be responsible for developing and managing electrical wiring diagrams, schematics single line diagrams, as well as civil, mechanical, architectural and structural drawings using Autodesk Computer-Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) products
Northern Water provides:
- Great benefits – Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, ADD, Short- and Long-term disability, Tuition Assistance, FSA, etc.
- PTO and eleven and a half paid holidays.
- Retirement contribution (5%) and match (3%).
With an inviting culture and long-standing history, Northern Water is committed to hiring and retaining the best employees to join its growing organization headquartered in beautiful Berthoud, Colo. There are few jobs at Northern Water; there are many careers.
This position is responsible for developing and managing electrical wiring diagrams, schematics single line diagrams, as well as civil, mechanical, architectural and structural drawings using Autodesk Computer-Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops detailed design drawings using AutoCAD/AutoCAD Electrical programs.
- Files and stores existing prints for modification and updating of electrical, mechanical, structural and civil drawings.
- Works with marked up documents from engineers, sketches, roughly designed concepts, and verbal instructions to create final construction or as-built historical record documents. Drawing assignments are primarily related to water pumping plants, hydropower plants, pipelines, dams, canals and related water collection, storage and delivery systems.
- Creates Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID), loop drawings and electrical schematics from existing files.
- Gathers and collects design requirements for new and existing constructions, modifications and/or repairs.
- Interprets project briefs and meets with engineers and department manager(s) to ensure all blueprints and technical drawings are completed to specifications.
- Ensures drawings are compliant with building regulations and engineering principles.
- Communicates potential design issues to engineers.
- Assists in creating and managing Northern Water AutoCAD and P&ID standards.
- Coordinates and reviews contractor drawing packages to comply with Northern Water CADD standards and integrate into Northern Water document control packages.
- Updates existing design techniques with respect to the latest design standards.
- Performs simple maintenance on AutoCAD System to ensure proper daily operation (i.e. plotter pen replacement, printer tape replacement, system tape backup, etc.).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education Requirements
Training Experience Required
- 15 years of experience designing P&ID, loop drawings, electrical schematics, and mechanical piping.
- Experience with civil and structural drawings highly desirable.
- Associate degree in machine drafting/technology, or equivalent combination of relevant education, specialized training, and/or work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical and electrical drawing and design standards.
- Design techniques, tools and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Practical application of engineering science and technology.
- Thorough knowledge of AutoCAD, Bluebeam, REVIT and MS Office.
- Fundamental understanding of layering standards, XREF best practices and document management systems.
- A good understanding and use of Office 365.
- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Excellent mathematics skills.
- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Produce documents with minimal oversight at a high level of quality in an efficient manner.
- Visually sees details at close range.
- Communicate information and ideas verbally so others will understand.
- Apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Maintain satisfactory relationships with coworkers.
- Work in on and around active water ways.
- Walk on catwalks.
- Climb ladders up to 20 feet in height.
- Endure periods of driving and sitting for extended periods.
- Enter confined spaces including manholes and vaults with proper confined space entry training.
- Work in noisy or dusty environments with proper personal protection equipment.
- Work outside in all conditions using appropriate weather gear.
- Work in environments containing spiders, snakes, rodents and other disagreeable elements.
- Use safety/protective devices provided by Northern Water in the performanceof all duties. Examples of devices/equipment to be worn are hard hats, safety glasses, safety belts, steel-toed boots, hearing protection, and air monitors for confined space entry.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of a post job offer physical examination.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
License, Certificate, or Credential Requirements
- Valid driver’s license.
- AutoCAD Professional Certification within six months of the date of hire.
- USBR, HECP, FIST 1-1 certification within two years of the date of hire.
- Maintains a personal appearance appropriate for job position and image of Northern Water.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
Northern Water is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- P&ID, loop drawings, electrical schematics & mechanical pipe: 10 years (Required)
- Civil and structural drawings: 1 year (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement