Edenworks designs and operates next generation Aquaponic farms. We grow greens and seafood at our R&D facility in East Williamsburg and will be scaling up into a larger facility elsewhere in Brooklyn in 2020. Our mission is to sustainably produce healthy, high quality greens and seafood all across the U.S. that are as accessible as conventionally grown alternatives.
Our Software & Electronics team (“S&E”) develops tools to monitor, analyze, improve, and automate farm and business operations. We are looking for an experienced software developer who thrives working on blank page, highly interdisciplinary projects. Owning your own mad scientist lab coat is a plus, but more importantly we are looking for someone eager to develop strong bonds with diverse teams and users to direct development and identify software-enabled opportunities.
While everyone at Edenworks is continually learning, our team is specially motivated to do so. We support so many different needs that learning is core to our work whether in the domain of business, farming, biology, manufacturing, or, of course, software & electronics.
Presently, S&E engineers switch among design, development, and operations work. With our growing team, we are seeking to reduce context switching and streamline development. You will help facilitate this transition by being the first S&E team members primarily dedicated to application development.
By improving the overall quality and predictability of software delivered to multiple internal customers across disciplines, you will play a critical role in Edenworks fulfilling its mission of growing affordable, nutritious, delicious, fresh food, wherever it’s needed.
Edenworks actively encourages applicants with widely diverse and non-traditional backgrounds to apply. Our needs and our opportunities are unique and varied so we value unique and varied contributions in our colleagues.
- Lead application software development projects implemented by yourself or small teams.
- Perform user discovery, workflow design, and UI/UX development.
- Work with the S&E team and various farming, operations, and R&D teams to direct and implement Edenworks’ development, testing, and deployment processes and tools.
- Proactively form relationships across the company and contribute to a culture of collaboration.
- Develop web apps.
- Develop UNIX / network applications.
- Develop Edenworks’ custom data collection and actuation farming system.
- Develop cloud-hosted applications.
- Develop Enterprise business system modules.
- Develop middleware to connect diverse and disparate systems.
- Develop alarm and logging systems.
- Develop integrations with third-party services (e.g. Slack, PagerDuty).
- Develop custom support tools for our farms’ environmental sensing systems’ development and maintenance.
- Customize and extend enterprise tools and platforms.
- Implement and integrate application and data security mechanisms.
- Contribute to modeling plant systems — both green leafy things as well our manufacturing plant.
- Work with computer vision and artificial intelligence for disease and anomaly detection.
- Evaluate toolchains, development environments, and third-party services.
- Support I.T. and Sensing Operations until a full-time S&E Operations hire is brought onboard.
- Bachelor’s Degree — preferably Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related. Alternatively, comparable forms of education and experience are also entirely acceptable.
- Real world experience implementing big, hairy enterprise business systems.
- Excellent communication skills, flexibility, and empathy.
- Project management experience.
- Project lead developer experience.
- Customer support / customer-driven product development experience.
Preferred Skills + Experience
Any of the following
- UX design, Human-centered design, or related
- Data analytics
- ISO 356X process experience
- Development and support work in manufacturing environments
- Development and support work in agricultural settings
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $105,000.00 to $120,000.00 /year
- Enterprise Software: 4 years (Required)
- New York City, NY (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A “Fair Chance” job (you or the employer follow Fair Chance hiring practices when performing background checks - learn more at https://start.indeed.com/fair-chance)
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma