The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
As we enter a new era of Strategic Weapon Systems, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills, talents and experiences to design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to envision the impossible, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus—if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
The Targets and Countermeasures Programs (TCP) team is creating end-to-end solutions focused on delivering time critical, threat-representative Re-entry Vehicles (RVs) to the Missile Defense Agency. The TCP team is seeking a Mechanical Engineer who is ready to contribute to the fast-paced efforts of multiple programs and follow-on projects currently underway.
In this role you will:
- Coordinate with a small team of designers and serve as the Certified Principal Engineer (CPE) for the aeroshell component of the RV
- Provide technical expertise in the areas of mechanical design, fabrication, assembly and/or test of RV components and subsystems
- Provide product development, qualification, integration, and test support for in-house and subcontracted items
- Give direction to and mentor junior engineers
- Coordinate tasks with other designers, manufacturing, purchasing, subcontracts, and quality assurance
Typically has 9 - 15 years of professional experience.
When enemies attack, governments need to be ready to defend their soldiers, citizens and infrastructure. That’s where the Targets and Countermeasures Program comes in – our unmatched 98-percent reliability rate provides unarmed targets designed to represent adversary missiles to permit realistic testing of the weapon systems and other elements of the Ballistic Missile Defense System.
Learn more about Targets and Countermeasures.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin cultivates an inclusive work environment that inspires differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
- Paid time off
- Work/life balance
- Career development
- Mentorship opportunities
- Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s comprehensive benefits package.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Aerospace) or related discipline
- Expertise in metallic and composite design of hardware used in an extreme temperature and dynamic environment
- Experience interfacing with and supporting analysis, fabrication, assembly, and test
- Experience with mechanical 3D modeling methods and practices for components, assemblies, and drawing creation using CREO or similar mechanical CAD tools
- Experience with Mechanical Design principles including Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5)
- Ability to obtain a Secret security clearance
- Master of Science in an Engineering Discipline
- Experience on Integrated Product Teams (IPTs)
- Project and subcontract management and leadership skills
- Experience with MDA customers and consultants
- Ability to function well in a creative, high-tempo, collaborative, multi-functional, dynamic and multi-disciplinary environment
- Proposal development, including Basis of Estimate (BOE) generation, section authorship, review teams, etc.
- Fluency in mechanical 3D modeling methods and practices for components, assemblies, and drawing creation using CREO software
- Familiarity with LM Space processes, procedures, and tools (including EPDM/Windchill)
- Experience leading product development, production, and test conducted by a subcontractor
- Expertise in the areas of aluminum forging, welding, machining, finishing, etc.
- Expertise in the areas of silica and carbon composites (production, testing, repair), thermal protection systems, etc.
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Active DoD Secret clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.